Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

My collection is growing 5 pix

Some of these I purchased this year, some I've had for some time, all need to be repotted but it will have to wait until it cools done a bit, don't laugh but 90*F is to hot for this old bird, right now I'm hiding in the house under a fan.

Unfortunately I don't know the cultivar names for most of them, at one time I wouldn't buy a plant if it wasn't named but somehow I threw that rule out the window when it came to these guys their beauty has me mesmerized :).

I went out and took some pictures, most are Echeverias with a few others thrown in. If you see anything interesting I could single it out, take a better picture.

I just bunched them up so as to not have too many pictures, a lot are top heavy and normally they are spread out pot inside pot to stop them from toppling over.

{{gwi:618181}}

{{gwi:618182}}

{{gwi:618184}}

{{gwi:618186}}

{{gwi:618188}}

In the dish garden I have lots of bits and pieces, can anyone tell me if the dark one is "Dark Night" or "Dark Prince" I had both at one time.

Annette

Comments (10)

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

The beautiful green Aeonium, center, first picture, is gorgeous. Looks to be the same plant as my possible Aeonium pseudotabuliforme, but that ID was a proposed guess for my plant (well, I actually have two). It has grown amazingly well. My favorite Aeonium to date. It stays in the greenhouse, with warm temps and strong light, and I haven't yet dealt with it in winter...gah, I do not want winter.

This is a darn lot of work to ID, but as for the first shot, to the left of the Aeonium I think I see a Crassula marginalis 'Calico Kitten.' Great plant. In the back, first shot, on the right is perhaps Sedum nussbaumerianum, and the jade farthest back I might guess from this distance is a 'Hobbit' and the one in front of it 'Gollum'?

To the right of the Aeonium, another Echeveria? And in the front, on the left, a Adromischus cristatus or other form? and a Haworthia x cuspidata... I do not know the final plant in that photo, front right.

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

second shot: Graptoveria 'Fred Ives' at back left (wonderful plant, does well in hot sun and in shade, and keep all healthy leaves you might bump loose; they root easily); and I'd like to see the silvery plant to the right of it. In front of Fred looks to me to be Echeveria 'Perle von Nuremberg.' Not sure about the little Pachyveria?? to its right...and I should know the name of the plant directly in front of the Pachy, but I cannot remember it. Other three are Echeveria, of course; others will be better naming them.

third shot: perhaps a 'Silver Dollar Jade' in back left and a Kalanchoe thyrsiflora in the back that hasn't gotten much sun? In front of the jade, an Aeonium 'Kiwi'; center, a Crassula perforata 'String of Buttons'?; right, Echeveria nodulosa. In front of A. 'Kiwi' I see Echeveria runyonii 'Topsy Turvy,' and the front-right plant and Echeveria I can't ID for you.

In the second to last shot, I see three A. 'Kiwi,' and the red-tipped green Echeveria to their left is an Echeveria agavoides. Front-right could possibly be an Echeveria pulvinata 'Frosty,' but I am not positive, and the other E.s in the photo and the Sedums you'll need help with.

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

Here's one thread on the difference between E. 'Black Prince' and 'Black Knight' (not 'Dark'). I think you have 'Black Knight,' from what I can tell.

Here is a link that might be useful: E. 'Black Knight'/'Black Prince' difference

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    11 years ago

teatree, here's a pic of the silvery echeveria next to "Fred Ives". I happen to know the name of this one it's "Mexican Giant" bought last month. And.... about the dark E. I meant to type Black not dark but sometimes my fingers have a mind of their own and don't do what they're told LOL. Annette

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Second picture , large Echeveria with the purple cast in the front left is E. "afterglow", I think. Behind that is a Kalanchoe fedtschenkoi variagata, or maybe it is not the variagated one. I can't see it too well.

Third picture , second row from the front on the right, The silver echeveria with the up curled leaves is Echeveria runyonii "topsy turvy". It is hardy yo Z 7. Behind it and to the left is Echeveria nodulosa, Behind that is a Kalanchoe luciae

That Echeveria agavoides "ebony" is hugely sought after in korea and Japan right now. They have wiped clean the american market. The plants are going for huge ampunts of money if they have lots of the blackeyred on the leaves.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wantonamara, here's a closer picture of the E. agavoides, do you still think it's "Ebony"? I might be going back to the garden center where I got this guy in the next couple of weeks, maybe I should pick up another one if he still has them. When I bought this one I was just looking for the one with the least blemishes, there might be others with more red/black color on them.

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

I agree on that ID. I have the lesser distinctive 'Lipstick Echeveria' form with brighter red, and the red increases dramatically with summer sun. Love that plant in all its forms.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

It looks more like Echeveria agavoides "lipstick" Or E. agavoides "red Edge.". But it has not much color on the tips so it is probably the "red edge.. Maybe it will develop later. Ebony has a bit more glaucus coloring and a black maroon color whereas the "lipstick seems more green with red tips.

I wouldlove a e. ebony. but not for the price they are going for now. Maybe in a couple of years after the thais tissue culture the hell out of it and flood the maket . I know a whole bunch of growers have some in the works

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Third picture, second row from bottom on the right is Echeveria "Big Red"

Yes, I think that the aloe could be a hybrid a hybrid of A. variegata. I just got mine about a month ago so I have not snapped a picture of it yet.I will try to remember to get a picture of it. They just came out of quarantine.. It is going out in the yard. I am living life dangerously. My A. variagata has survived 18 degrees outside.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

oops, I meant to put that comment about the aloe on another thread

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner