Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help to identify this Aloe plant; Aloe Vera???

Posted by loveblueroses 10a (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 17:29

I have been looking for Aloe Vera for a while. and I just got this aloe plant at my local farmers' market; please see its pictures below and please let me whether it is really Aloe Vera that I am looking for. thank you very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help to identify this Aloe plant; Aloe Vera???

• Posted by Deva33 5... southeast Iowa (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 18:24

It does not resemble the aloe vera plant that I have... but maybe there are several kinds?

I looked at google images of aloe vera and yours looks pretty similar to that! Which then made me think that maybe mine isn't aloe vera, but then I found a pic that looks like mine. hopefully we are both good :-)

o

There is only one Aloe vera, but there are some imposters, including yours. The real Aloe vera is not spotted and blooms with yellow flowers.

o

Thank you for the valuable comments! I just got these two aloe with label "aloe Vera" at Lowe's are these two real Aloe Vera???? Thanks again!

o

'The real Aloe vera is not spotted '.

o

Certainly not here to dispute the name of the Lowes plant. I bought a couple of the same plants, chuckling to myself that ALL of the aloes were labeled Aloe vera.

Mine are PIG, growing well and curiously have lost their spots. You can see some of the spots remain on the bottom, oldest leaves. So I'm pondering the label again. Of course it hasn't flowered yet (about 3 years old), which will add to the info.

I guess I wonder if Aloe vera pups start with spots. I have no pups to compare. My plant does not look like the OP's first plants.

This post was edited by Crenda on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 10:23

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 10:28

I have the OPs aloes too, they're what circulated through like the last 50 years as "burn plant" in the housewife swap network. They're virtually indestructible and do seem to significantly ease sunburn or burn pain and tissue issues.

As to which aloe they are?

o

Immature Aloe versa are often spotted, but the spots eventually vanish with age. Those Lowes plants could certainly be Aloe veras, but the plant in the first photo is something else (teeth are wrong for Aloe vera).

o

Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 13:17

So is Crenda's pic of an actual aloe vera? I would like to know what the real one looks like so I can find one for myself.

Thanks!
Deva

o

Deva,

Crenda's does indeed look like the real thing.

o

How nice (and funny!) since I was so sure that the little spotted aloe plant I bought was a poser!

o

Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 17:57

Thanks cactusmcharris! Do you think I could grow one in a pot? I live in an apartment and my boyfriend uses a lot of aloe. I personally like having it around as well. Crenda's looks pretty big!

o

Deva,

That's exactly how I grow mine, in a pot, and it does quite well.

o

Deva - Mine was in a pot until last January and did well.

After filling up a table with various aloes (all labeled Aloe vera of course!) I decided to move them into my landscape. Now I can fill the table with more plants! LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here