Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Echeveria leaves - sometimes up, sometimes down

Posted by a.shau 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 17:37

Hey all,

I've noticed that my rosette succulents sometimes have days where their leaves are flat, and sometimes when they're kind of perked up like a cup, or sometimes even like a bowl.

Anyone know in what circumstances succulents do this? Here are some examples:

Flat:

Cupped:

Does this have to do with cold, sun, water?

Thanks all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Echeveria leaves - sometimes up, sometimes down

First of all different species have different shapes. Some will normally be very upright, while others normally flat.

Secondly, the poor Echeverias in your second photo look fried (burned or overheated) and wilting in response.

Hydration, too, can make things perk up or wilt depending upon if well hydrated or not...

o

I know - I'm not sure what had happened to those poor echeveria. I think that maybe I had watered them but forgot to remove the retaining dish, and so the leaves rotted a bit? But that was a while ago and I am happy to report that they are now not only fully recuperated, but reproducing as well.

(in this photo they are now tight little balls)

I guess my question was mainly, what situations make them more likely to flatten out (warmth, hydration) and what situations make them ball up (cold, dehydration?).

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 10:18

They will flatten out to expose themselves to more sunlight, to get more light to the central growth core. (Agaves it is really easy to see this) They curl up to reduce transpiration (loss of moisture) and to reduce their sunlight exposure. (Aloe peglarae is a good example of this) This is one of the marvelous things about succulent plants--you would think they are static, but if you look at them day after day you can see the changes and adjustments they make. They are quite marvelously alive and dynamic.

o

My echeveria "Lola" (my favorite of them) did the same thing just recently. It had been flat like I had seen in a magazine when I purchased it, and now, two months later, it's "pinked" in color and the leaves are cupped like yours. Absolutely nothing changed in terms of temp, sun, watering. Hmmm......Oh, well, they're beautiful both ways!!

o

thanks - so interesting! i love succulents so...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here