Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bark Mulch

Posted by sweetlily west coast BC (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 17:39

At the risk of sounding ignorant, is bark mulch the same as bark fines?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bark Mulch

I ended up getting reptibark (I'm assuming you mean for the gritty mix) I got the big bag and had to put through the blender to make sure it was the right size. I wouldn't use one that's dyed and make sure they're uncomposted. Hope I helped. Hopefully someone else knows more

o

Pine bark fines are the smaller (fine) particles of pine bark mulch. I once got some pine bark mulch from a landscape supply and sifted out the fines for use in the gritty mix. I no longer use the bark part in gritty mix, as I find it is a pain to find, prepare, and use. It also is not needed, and the mix looks and performs better, in my opinion, without it. The bark is basically there to lower the cost, and to reduce weight. Note though, that the pine bark mulch should be actual bark, and not include sapwood.

Joe

o

Thanks Joe saved me once again! ;)

o

Thanks, LilBit and Joe. That makes things much easier.

Joe, it didn't happen to be you that posted (perhaps quite a while ago) the little chart for making gritty mix? It was just choose one from each of 1, 2, 3 (where each had 2-3 ingredients you could substitute for each other) to end up with the gritty mix. Very simple, like I need! Thought I clipped it, can't find it.

Thanks again both of you!

o

Wasn't me, sorry. What are you having trouble finding, and where are you located?

Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here