Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Favorite off label use of chemical in your garden.

I think much of gardening is about the previous experimentation of people who have gone before us. Should we call this folk traditions, the closure of unrelated uses and materials. I mean we can't all be hired by Dow Chemical and Monsanto and sport multiple degrees in whatever chemistry and biology..

Bear with me , just a little bit. I once heard that genius was the ability to make closure out of the unrelated and come up with something new. Indian yellow is a painting pigment that was originally made from the crystalized urine of cows that had eaten green mangoes. I think there are several off label realities that lead to this product and Michael Angelo using it on his Canvas. Was the real genius the Hindu cow herder who saw the spots of dried holy urine under the mango tree and wondered about the diet of the cows that created this bright yellow stain on his freshly washed Dhoti. Did he run home and was unable to wash it off and think, Wow, Its a nice color, I could sell this stuff .

I just adore Dawn soap. Its label says it contains no phosphates and not to combine it with bleach. That's it. Nothing about washing dishes. I have left a tub diluted dawn uncovered out in the garden for tossing in harlequin beetles and squash beetles for weeks now. Mosquito larvae never grow inn it.

I grow my cactus outdoors with the bugs. In Texas we have a huge problem with Cactus Coreid Bugs (Chilinidea vittegera). These things come in gregarious hoards and then forge out to procreate in twos leaving herds of babies behind to soon complete their cycle.They are suckers and leave a multitude of hickies whereever they go. One little spray of dawn and water and they fall off the prickly pear in a clumsy spastic death rattle.. They get the killer in me on the rag. I am off hunting with my spray bottle. I learned this trick from the guy that runs the Living Desert outside of Austin. He had run his green houses for 40 years. I asked for an organic way to deal with my pest. I had gotten tired of all the chemistry that this war had involved.

So guys what is in your bag of tricks that are off label uses of non gardening substances. How do you use it and where did you pick up your tidbit of shared knowledge?

Comments (16)

• ariel7576 (Puerto Vallarta, Mex.)
    10 years ago

I'm not arguing or picking a fight (nor stirring pooh); this is a genuine, legitimate question: would Dawn be considered organic? Isn't it totally synthetic & therefore, no?
    (I only raise the question because you said you were told about Dawn when you asked about an organic pest solution.)

• Danielle Rose
    10 years ago

Wildlife rescuers use Dawn to save oil-soaked birds ... not everything that's synthetic is overly harmful; and not everything that's organic is beneficial. Do a little research on whatever it is you're using, and be mindful of its impact. I wouldn't spray my yard down with dish soap, but I've treated several plants successfully with Seventh Generation. I try to get as little as possible into the soil, but even if I do, it's so much better than harsher chemicals!

I also use diatomaceous earth (celite) to prevent fungus gnat infestations on more delicate plants. It was the only thing that worked on my orchids. Since the most damage occurs from the larvae in the soil destroying the root system, this is a great non-chemical way to deal with the nasties. It's like microscopic ground glass; it damages bug exoskeletons and eggs. Should the larvae survive to turn to flies, the celite often prevents them from being able to fly or reproduce.

On my smaller succulents, I use rubbing alcohol. It kills stuff, evaporates almost immediately, and doesn't damage the plant. Obviously not a good choice on larger plants, but dabbing with a q-tip helps control critters on all of my tiny ones.

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Man, that is awesome. I'm going to give Dawn a whirl - see if it works on mites. We've always used it as a flea-killer. If you mix Dawn with vinegar it's a great dog wash. We've since conquered our flea problem.

I can totally see you on a rampage with the spray bottle. You should see me at night, hunting snails with a flashlight. I'm ruthless.

Now, I have no idea where your inspiration came from but this thread was a good idea. My favorite repurposed chemical is isopropyl alcohol. I buy it by the gallon! Mealy bugs don't stand a chance and I doubt the other bugs are very fond of it. It even works on 99% of farinaceous plants, even the most odd looking ones grown in the most peculiar of manners. I haven't read the label but I bet it doesn't say not to use it to light your hand on fire... which I did.

Next!

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Double-post! Good one, Danielle.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ariel, No offense taken. I knew someone was going to call me on that misused Moniker.

I don't spray it in my vegetable garden. There it lives in a yogurt tub and has bad bugs thrown in to it. I am not as vigilante in my cactus garden. I cross the line into the realm of chemicals warily. It has got to be better than Seven and Dursban. I still have a small jar of that stuff ( bought in (1990) that I used to kill wood borers in some recycled lumber that I bought from Michigan and boy was it infested. Maybe I should have injected Dawn into it.

I don't know about Mites , Ryan. I make no claims there.

I have sprayed hydrogin peroxide on pill bugs.I learned that from an old hippy from a New Mexican Commune. He maintained a great garden.

• ariel7576 (Puerto Vallarta, Mex.)
    10 years ago

Did I say it was harmful? I asked if it would be considered organic.

wantonamara, I wasn't necessarily trying to call you out on it. I'm debating trying to be as organic as possible. But I get turned off by organazis. So right now I'm leaning toward minimising harm, which doesn't necessarily have to be organic. I suspect even Danielle would agree with me on that approach.

This post was edited by ariel7576 on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 0:49

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

I've used Dawn to treat hydrophobic soil.

• lcadena
    10 years ago

I think it's worth a try. Will it take off the flour type fungus on my Hawawothias? I have moved them away from other plants and put them in full sun. I sprayed them with Raid, as I didn't know else to do. They are still alive and growing. What else should I do?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Watch out about spraying plants with raid. A girlfriend told me to spray my coreid bugs with raid . She grew lots of opuntia species. The opuntias did not mind the raid but Ferocactus epidermus does awful things three days later. Fungicide is what you need. If your looking for something around the house, try the hydrogin peroxide. I have used cinnamon on my fresh cut cuttings and then I let them callus so they won't get a fungus and rot. I don't know about your usage but , it is worth a try.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Orchid people mix cinnamon with isopropyl alcohol. Allow it to "ferment" for several days and decant the liquid. They use it for all kinds of things including fungus. Not sure if one compliments the other or what... just passing on information given to me by a reasonably well known professor at MSU who does orchids.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

AWW, that gets to the cook in me. I like that fermenting part. I will try this and it sounds like a good one for Icadena's haworthias, but don't do it in the sun. Pull them into the shade. How often are you watering??Are your haworthias full sun haworthias. Not all of them (few of them) LIKE full sun.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Mara, I personally like the decanting...LOL On a technical note, when you decant, use a coffee filter so none of the cinnamon enter the spray bottle or you'll need Drano to clean the sprayer!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good tip on the straining. Thank you.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

So I am wondering if it was not already mentioned...

Does Dawn or Alcohol kill mites, even watered down in a spray bottle?
    Those are the only bugs that seem to show up every winter, on any plant.

Thank you

Mike

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am not making any claims there. When I got agave mite, I went for the hard stuff immediately. I have never heard mention that alcohol or insecticidal soap would work on mite. Some how I am doubtful about that. I would have probably heard about it on XW. I can't see mites so I can't see them die. I can only know that my agave is better because the weird Mar has stopped appearing. red spider mites can be controlled by insecticidal soaps so I imagine that dawn would be good for them. I have a lot of predator bugs that keep them in check.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spider mites.

• paul_
    10 years ago

Yes, a soap solution can kill mites.

Falling back into my more pedantic mode , I will mention that the term for the cinnamon infused alcohol Howard mentioned is a "tincture" (in case there should be any interest in such knowledge). Been some time since I made a cinnamon tincture, but if I recall correctly I think it was one tablespoon of cin. per 16oz rubbing alcohol. (If I happen to come across the recipe I used, I'll try to remember to post it.) Don't know if it matters, but I used the highest proof isopropyl carried at the market (90 proof or better). WARNING, said tincture does STAIN -- clothing, bricks, cement, siding, you name it. Staining is pretty much permanent. Don't know if a lesser concentration of cinnamon would make a difference.

For those "beloved" earwigs ..
    Another Dawn related concoction that can be useful is a nicotine spray. To make such, if you or a loved one is a smoker, save the used cigarette butts. Let them steep overnight in water. Water should be a dark tea brown. Filter through a coffee filter to catch any stray particles. In a 16oz sprayer, combine 1\2 cup of the nicotine "tea", 1/4 cup Dawn, and top off with water. Shake gently to mix thoroughly. Spray this under the edges of you siding (usually where the siding stops and the brick begins seems to be where those vermin like to hide out) or other earwig heavy "hot spots". Between the toxic effects of the nicotine and the soapy solution, it tends to do a good job on killing any earwigs on contact. (Can increase the amount of Dawn if necessary.) NOTE: For those, like me, who aren't smokers and can't stand the stench of cigarette smoke, pipe tobacco can also be used. There's even one that has a nice vanilla type scent.

Please do not spray this on bees or spiders -- let them do their jobs.

For those who either use a rain barrel or have certain plants that do require very damp/wet media (yeah, I know, not the type of plants intended on this forum but ...). While many may know that placing a mosquito dunk in a rain barrel will go a long ways to eliminating mosquito larvae, fewer are aware that a dunk can be used to kill off fungus gnat larvae. Simply break off a 1/4 of one of those mosquito dunk "donuts" and put it in a gallon jug of water. Let it sit overnight or two. Give the container a shake and use the water to water the plants. Continue refilling and reusing that dunk chunk until it completely disintegrates. (Personally for really damp/wet soils, I like Drosera (sundews) and Utricularia (bladderworts). heh)

This post was edited by paul_ on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 23:06

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus