Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One more identification question.

Posted by Sbgibbons 9 Ca (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 18:40

I've had the smaller Graptopetalum Paraguayense for a while now (it was my first succulent) and today I bought a bigger one, but when I got them home and looked at them side by side I realized that they don't really look the same at all. I know that succulents can look different from sun exposure and all of that, but I'm wondering if maybe they aren't the same thing.. Also what are the little raised bumps on the larger Ghost plant (scale maybe?) Is there anything I can do to get rid of those? Thanks again for all of your help! - Sam. :)

Ps- I can only post one picture at a time, so the other one will be a follow up.

This post was edited by Sbgibbons on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 20:09

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One more identification question.

Here's the smaller one.

o

Sam, Not so sure on the larger one (might be a hybrid). I can say the smaller one looks very much like xGraptosedum 'Ghosty'. If it blooms yellow, I'd say most likely that.

Can't say on the bumps, but not a good thing. Possibly scale, but I don't know that for sre. I'd keep it in quarantine if I were you. See if it grows out of having bumps (on new leaves.=).

o

Okay I'll definitely keep it away from everything else. Thanks for being so helpful today! The stems do look pretty similar on both plants though and that confuses me. And when I Google the name the images that come up look more like the larger one, but when I bought them, they were both labeled 'graptopetalum paraguayense'. Here's a side view..

o

I would say they both have Graptopetalum paraguayense as one parent.

You might want to peruse the crassulaceae.net site, in the xGrapto- sections. Just keep in mind, many shown there are in Europe & not necessarily available in the trade here in the U.S..

o

First one is Graptoveria Fred Ives

o

I am totally confused now: is it echeveria Fred Ives or graptoveria Fred Ives or are there both?...Rina

o

Rina, just one...xGraptoveria 'Fred Ives', but I respectfully disagree with Geoff on that ID. Leaves would be thinner & wider, I believe.

o

• Posted by rina_ 5a Ont (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 10:30

roro

thank you for the answer...I have one that was labeled echeveria Fred Ives so 'off to change the name'...the photo shows thinner & wider leaves as you mentioned.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 10:59

o

I Googled 'Graptoveria Fred Ives' and everything that came up looked like the picture above. Similar to mine, but much wider leaves. I do appreciate all I've y'alls help though. Y'all are very kind. :)

Also, for the bumps on the leaves I've read that I can water down rubbing alcohol and use a qtip and rub it on the bumps and if it is scale, it will come off. Do you think I should do that?

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm a a newbie and I don't want to cause any harm to my plants.. . Thanks in advance.

o

No, I don't think that's a good idea on this one. You will end up rubbing off the bloom from the leaves. Bloom on the leaves, like if you touched it your fingers will look like they leave a mark -but it's actually removing the bloom. Whoever named it "bloom" should be smacked upside their head...making it confusing, for us, trying to explain. =)

Maybe try ONE bump & see what happens. :P

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 16:12

fred is highly variable depending on conditions. first pic doesn't look like fred to me.

fi is so beautiful!
 photo poppy0699_zps26bcb4e5.jpg

o

Looks like a slightly etiolated graptoveria Debbie to me

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here