Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
_sbgibbons_

One more identification question.

_sbgibbons_
9 years ago

I've had the smaller Graptopetalum Paraguayense for a while now (it was my first succulent) and today I bought a bigger one, but when I got them home and looked at them side by side I realized that they don't really look the same at all. I know that succulents can look different from sun exposure and all of that, but I'm wondering if maybe they aren't the same thing.. Also what are the little raised bumps on the larger Ghost plant (scale maybe?) Is there anything I can do to get rid of those? Thanks again for all of your help! - Sam. :)

Ps- I can only post one picture at a time, so the other one will be a follow up.

This post was edited by Sbgibbons on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 20:09

Comments (12)

• _sbgibbons_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the smaller one.

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Sam, Not so sure on the larger one (might be a hybrid). I can say the smaller one looks very much like xGraptosedum 'Ghosty'. If it blooms yellow, I'd say most likely that.

Can't say on the bumps, but not a good thing. Possibly scale, but I don't know that for sre. I'd keep it in quarantine if I were you. See if it grows out of having bumps (on new leaves.=).

• _sbgibbons_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay I'll definitely keep it away from everything else. Thanks for being so helpful today! The stems do look pretty similar on both plants though and that confuses me. And when I Google the name the images that come up look more like the larger one, but when I bought them, they were both labeled 'graptopetalum paraguayense'. Here's a side view..

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

I would say they both have Graptopetalum paraguayense as one parent.

You might want to peruse the crassulaceae.net site, in the xGrapto- sections. Just keep in mind, many shown there are in Europe & not necessarily available in the trade here in the U.S..

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

First one is Graptoveria Fred Ives

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

I am totally confused now: is it echeveria Fred Ives or graptoveria Fred Ives or are there both?...Rina

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Rina, just one...xGraptoveria 'Fred Ives', but I respectfully disagree with Geoff on that ID. Leaves would be thinner & wider, I believe.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

roro

thank you for the answer...I have one that was labeled echeveria Fred Ives so 'off to change the name'...the photo shows thinner & wider leaves as you mentioned.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 10:59

• _sbgibbons_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I Googled 'Graptoveria Fred Ives' and everything that came up looked like the picture above. Similar to mine, but much wider leaves. I do appreciate all I've y'alls help though. Y'all are very kind. :)

Also, for the bumps on the leaves I've read that I can water down rubbing alcohol and use a qtip and rub it on the bumps and if it is scale, it will come off. Do you think I should do that?

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm a a newbie and I don't want to cause any harm to my plants.. . Thanks in advance.

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

No, I don't think that's a good idea on this one. You will end up rubbing off the bloom from the leaves. Bloom on the leaves, like if you touched it your fingers will look like they leave a mark -but it's actually removing the bloom. Whoever named it "bloom" should be smacked upside their head...making it confusing, for us, trying to explain. =)

Maybe try ONE bump & see what happens. :P

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

fred is highly variable depending on conditions. first pic doesn't look like fred to me.

fi is so beautiful!
    {{gwi:621446}}

• bitterlawyer
    9 years ago

Looks like a slightly etiolated graptoveria Debbie to me