Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calif888

Some photos of my succulent rock garden.

calif888
11 years ago

I know I broke lots of the "rules" , but I wanted lots of different plants with different colors and textures. ....sure do like those smooth river rocks (succulents in a river ???)

Comments (29)

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Echeveria with dragon blood sedum,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One more photo for today.............

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    11 years ago

Calif888 ,
    Great looking photos ,
    The plants are so healthy
    Thanks for sharing
    Sharon

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    11 years ago

Calif888 ,
    Great looking photos ,
    The plants are so healthy
    Thanks for sharing
    Sharon

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Beautiful..Rules are there to be broken. I love your use of color and texture. as long as they get along with each other in such close quarters, Go for it. .I would watch out for rot and over crowding as time goes on. IE give the mam some breathing room, and the cereus as they want to grow larger, some by expanding and others buy expanding and pupping. T of the cluster of three cactus, 2 will want to pup around their circumference. I see the kalanchoe (?) over crowding the mammillaria cluster. It looks nice but I would be wary of it especially as your wet winter comes back in the autumn. It is a pleasure to look at right now and things look very happy so who am I to say. It looks better than my cactus & succulent garden

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sharon ::::::::: Thanks for the kind words, but I must admit some failure with trying to use some non succulent ground covers. The tags say "drought tolerant when established".... I guess I did not give them enough water at the start.

Wantonamara :::::::Thanks for the good advice. I had thought of many of your points, but I am an impatient person. I wanted to see some instant results so I put MANY plants too close together ( sort of like a succulent dish garden ) If things get out of hand, I can dig some up and replant elsewhere.

• hanzrobo
    11 years ago

Beautiful, creative design, plants look great, makes me want to be 1 inch tall. Great job! I hope they all continue to coexist happily for you.

Mara, it looks better than mine too, hahaha! I need to get more creative with my beds.

• Lamora
    11 years ago

Very nice indeed. I cannot work the ground (back problems) but maybe a raised bed? Have the perfect spot for something like this. (I think it would work) But alas,, Idaho has some hard winters, not taking the chance.

But congrats on your beautiful garden, very envious person here.. :P

Marjie

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hanzrobo and Lamora::::::Thanks,,,hard to make a mistake mixing rocks and succulents. They go well together in a pot or in the ground. I plan to visit my favorite landscape rock yard tomorrow..."LYNGSO" in Redwood City, California.
    Highly recommended...huge choice, good prices. sure wish I had some rocks already on my property like many of you. I am in a house built on a former sand dune in western San Francisco,,,,,,,well anyway there is great drainage,,,ha

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

And you have that great gentle coastal Californian weather. SO GOOD for so many succulents. That garden will expand in a hurry! I have to baby my succulents in the winter and the summer. Yours look like they are in heaven.

I have fossils all aver my land. I can walk in areas that are covered in ancient razor backed oysters and the ocassional large snail shell. I collect rocks from the river where I can find flint, and orange sandstone and the conglomerate limestone along with the rounded white limestone.It has some rocks with rose and brown colors down there otherwise , on my land, it is all white limestone. It gets boring. I can drive to the west for pink granite

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

And you have that great gentle coastal Californian weather. SO GOOD for so many succulents. That garden will expand in a hurry! I have to baby my succulents in the winter and the summer. Yours look like they are in heaven.

I have fossils all aver my land. I can walk in areas that are covered in ancient razor backed oysters and the ocassional large snail shell. I collect rocks from the river where I can find flint, and orange sandstone and the conglomerate limestone along with the rounded white limestone.It has some rocks with rose and brown colors down there otherwise , on my land, it is all white limestone. It gets boring. I can drive to the west for pink granite

• Enterotoxigenic00
    11 years ago

I love it! You have alot of talent. Cacti and succulents are some of my favorites: jade, donkey tail, and hens and chicks.
    Wish I had your eye for design.

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Enterotoxi:::::::::Thanks,,,,,I like jades also. I have several types in the ground as you can see,,,,,,,also some in pots in the house.

• linda_denman_island
    11 years ago

I love your succulent rock garden. It's beautiful and the plants look really healthy too.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Really nice rock gardens calif...I wish I could keep so many succulents in ground year round - but have to be happy with few hardy ones, and lots of pots!
    Rina

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

I love your garden,and like you i tend to crowd things together sometimes.Sure i may have to move them later on,but that's what this addiction is,isn't it???:)
    It's a good learning experience.
    kathi

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Linda;;;;
    Rina;;;
    Kathi:::
    Thanks for your kind comments. Do you know that here at Garden Web there are forums for GARDENING WITH STONE and ROCK GARDENS.. Also I have learned lots from looking at Google Images, You Tube, and a web site called HOUZZ. If you type in rock garden or succulents in their search boxes you will see lots of interesting ideas.

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

...another rock garden scene showing river rocks....I use lots of pea gravel around the plants and in pots to get that gritty mix we all like,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Single plants with rocks or a combination of many close together all seem to work,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More,,,,,,rocks and succculents

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

THANKS FOR LOOKING,,,

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

love them all!! Going from the bottom up,what is that green and white striped plant,it's on the top right.I love that one,guess i'll have to start looking for one.TFSyour garden with me.
    Kathi

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kathi::::::Do you mean the Aeonium Sunburst in the top right of 4th photo up from here ??? It is green and a light yellow color....grows very well here. Another good one is Aeonium Kiwi. You can see both these in the first photo of this post. Kiwi is middle right in picture.

• alex_i
    11 years ago

Wow! Amazing beautiful arrangements. I wish I had your talent.

• linda_denman_island
    11 years ago

Calif888, thanks for the suggestions. I think I've looked at the rock garden site before, but that was some time ago. It's really my kind of garden, but you're lucky to have more options when it comes to leaving plants out for the winter. Debra Lee Baldwin's book Designing with Succulents and her website are both fun to look at if you haven't come across them already.

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

alex:::::Thanks for the kind words.....but here is my talent:

1. Buy plants
    2. Dig hole
    3. Put plant in hole
    4. Surround the plant with various sizes of stone.
      The growers of these succulents from cuttings and seed must get the credit.
      linda:::::I have seen Debra Lee Baldwin's book on designing and container succulents, If you click LIKE on her Facebook page she often sends great photos.
      Here are some of my new rocks ready to find a place in the garden,,,,,,,NOW the fun begins. These rounded river rocks may not be the most "natural" fit for succulents, but I sure like them.

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are some older succulents that have been in my garden for over 15 years.............

• calif888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

......must have some medium size rocks to work with also........
    BIG bag from Home Depot ( hard to lift ) $ 4.00
    Next the pea gravel to fill in with small stone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    WOW,,,looks like I am more interested in stone than succulents,,,,,,,,,,,,lol