Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nalx

My Jade Plant is DYING

NALX
12 years ago

I don't know what happened. My jade plant is suddenly dying. The leaves are turning a black brown, first on the edges and then the whole leaf, its dropped many leaves. It is very hot outside (107F). I don't overwater it and it doesn't seem to have an insect problem, not one that I can detect. Is it possible that the problem is sun scorch? Can anyone help? I have photos and I would like to upload them, but I'm not sure it is possible.

Comments (41)

• baileysup
    12 years ago

the heat/sun may have something to do with it. has it been through similar temperatures in the past?

• NALX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's pretty extraordinarily hot. We have had very little rain. It's been through similar but not quite as hot. It's about a 10 year old clone, it would have issues of trunk rot when brought inside for the winter but would always thrive again when returned outside. In May of this year it was looking great, now....so bad. I even repotted it in fresh soil thinking maybe it was too wet, but that didnt seem to be an issue. The roots had not gone very deep.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

N,

It sounds like you cooked it - it may still be salvageable. Upload your pics at your hosting site, grab the HTML code of the picture (the code that begins 'a href', put that code in the body of your message, and hit preview. You should be able to see your picture in preview mode before you post it.

• prayerrock
    12 years ago

It sounds like its pretty unhappy for sure, but Jades should be able to be in high heat like that and do just fine, they love heat and sun.

When did you repot it? If you just recently repotted it then get it out of the sun and into shade and give it time for the roots to get established again. If you have trouble with trunk rot then you are giving way to much water. Jades dont need to be watered more then once a month in winter and not a lot even then. It sounds like your jade has had some long term issues and needs to be settled into a pot and left alone for while. Do not water it, just put it in the shade and leave it alone, if it drops some leaves that is fine it will grow more later. Dont water it for at least a week, then just give it some sips to get started..even in very hot temps Jades dont need a lot of water. The store lots of water in their trunks, branches and leaves.
    My Jades only get water when my sprinkler touches them every few days, but even then they dont get soaked.

• NALX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I try not to overwater. I have attached some photos. The good one was taken in May and the bad one was taken today along with a leaf.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos

• prayerrock
    12 years ago

Its hard to say what is going on, how often are you watering it? It could be to much water or not enough...also has it been out in the sun all summer? Or did you just put it in the sun now?

I am guessing that it is not happy after being repotted and left in the elements, plus you probably watered it right away.

Again, I would place it in shade and leave it alone for while. Dont water it for about a week. You can trim it back some if you want but other then that just leave it alone. Unless it is rotted though the trunk an roots it will recover in some time. But stop trying to cure it, just leave it alone for while. You can kill it with kindness.

Mary

• sutremaine
    12 years ago

What have you got it potted up in? I can't tell from the pics whether it's dirt or something organic, but it looks very dark. Also, your second post indicates that rot in winter is a common issue.

I would guess that the plant hasn't established itself properly and can't take up enough water to replace what it's losing in your climate, but it's a little hard to tell with the photos given. A shot of the withered stem tips and of the base around the roots would be particularly useful.

• NALX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was watering about once a week. It is potted in a soilmender product that is soil and cocofiber. Winter rot did seem to be an issue when brought inside, but it always flourished the next spring, as it did this year (the rot probably was from overwatering). The plant is over 10 years old. So I took it to the local nursery today. They seemed to think it's underwatering that is the issue. I am not sure that is the issue. I flushed it thoroughly today and added a 20/20/20 flush as well. I've added some new photos and a few on the end are photos from another jade that is starting to experience the same thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jade issues

• dirtygardener73
    12 years ago

I plant all my jades in 1/2 potting soil and 1/2 coarse sand (play sand) or perlite. You should never fertilize a sick plant. They can't take it. If I were you, I'd take it out of that soil, which has too much organic matter, and put it in cactus soil or what I suggested. I'm willing to bet when you pull it out, you'll have few to no roots. Cut it back and bring it inside. Don't fertilize it until it starts to put out new growth, and then only at 1/4 strength. You can save it, but it needs some intensive care.

• NALX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually, I repotted it recently to make sure it wasn't root rot. You are right, when I did that, the roots were very very minimal at that time. It was in a different medium at that point and I moved it to this new soil. If I repot it for a third time, what and how much do I cut off?

• NALX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What is turface? Ok, so new medium, smaller pot, cut back. Why is the deck not a good area? It gets sun but it has a lot of shade so it doesn't get intense sun.

• prayerrock
    12 years ago

The pot size is not a problem, Jades are opportunistic growers and the more room you give them for roots to grow the more growth you will get on your overall Jade. Your mix definitly needs amending but you can make it easy also..you can mix coir, perlite and grit rock...1/3 of each and that will give you a nice draining mix without any soil that may have bactirias, weeds, and insects in it. Coir is a great soiless medium. Grit rock is used for chicken and can be found in any feed store, just get the small rock. Make it simple there is no need to complicate things with expensive materials that can be hard to find.

You can cut it back if you want to or leave it and repot it in the same nice pot with new mix and it will thrive in some time, but Jades take time to regrow so dont rush it..Jades are cool weather winter growers, not summer growers. So you will see the growth more come fall when temps cool down. You can tip trim it to encourage some new leafing and branching if you like..but you really do not need to do anything drastic to that plant. You can kill it with kindness also.

mary

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

I should add the caveat that many Coco products are very high in salts and need to be rinsed.
    Also, Coco coir actually has less "loft" than peat moss, so it compacts sooner in the container.
    I would not, and do not, use it in my mixes. Bark is superior in all ways, save perhaps for
    local availability.

Josh

• prayerrock
    12 years ago

I am actually surprised at that Josh..coir is being used by many of the long time cactus and succulent growers. I have never heard of it compacting, when it dries it breaks up very freely. The idea is not to have enough of it in the mix to allow it to compact anyways, just enough to allow some water retention in a free flowing mix without the dangers of soil or barks. Barks can harbor many types of insects.

Mary

12 years ago

Most growers limit the amount of Coir to 10 percent or less of the overall soil volume.
    Coco Coir and peat are two ingredients that don't have any place in my succulent mixes.

I've never had an issue with insects in bark...the opposite in fact.
    By switching to bark, I eliminated fungus gnats entirely.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Hello everyone!

Form the looks of that plant is seems it was very abused.

Incorrect watering practices mixed with a very poor mix and too much sun once the roots of your plant are not functioning properly due to poor health from bad cultural practices..

Many good suggestions here. If your jade is planted in a very porous mix it won't matter what size pot you use or how much sun you give it. A good porous mix is much more forgiving than a compacted one and jades will be very happy.

A good porous mix, combined with lots of sun and very little fertilizer if at all with a touch of good watering practices makes for a very healthy jade and even a cured sick one.

Good luck and it should do well with all the great suggestions here thus far.

Mike

• prayerrock
    12 years ago

Thanks Josh, I will look into the bark more..I never have trouble with fungus gnats anyways even with my tropical plants in soil mixes...but hey if its not broke dont fix it...we have differant climates also and what works for me may not work for some one else and vice versa. But by the looks of my Jades I am doing something right..LOL

• mrlike2u
    12 years ago

In response to why the spa isn't the best location for a jade ( or other living plants )

Your bromine or cho3 sanitizer can also be entering into the container. I see residual water which may be from the spa on the deck in pics an indication to me. It COULD also be getting into the container VIA absorption or even from entering and exiting the spa water from the spa going into the pot is highly possibly.

What works for the plant works for a plant regardless of where a person lives a fast draining media that is also moisture retaining is what works for jades as has been suggested . What doesn't work is spa water that could be helping water your jade Granted this might not be the culprit that did the worst to the jade damages but it certainly didn't help the jade by being there.

Maybe it's a preference to some to use a fertilizer for jades I don't use a fert for the ones I grow, I use a more conventional media that has been mentioned from Josh and Mike and many others though out the forum. Mine has more mineral materials over nutrient materials. My logic is different from someone else and vice versa but either way the jades of mine grow, as there's grow. Yet my climate is different from Josh and yours but the same as Mikes but all three of us (and many others) who live where they live have success.

• NALX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

meyermike, the plant isn't abused. you don't have a plant for 10+ years then just start abusing it, that being said, there is definitly something wrong. It's happening in my two other jades as well. What's the chance that it is fungal or a disease that spreads? I've flushed most of them and now I am just letting them sit. I will work on changing the media, but the fact that it has grown well in that for 10 years makes me think that is not the culprit but it definitly should be remedied for better overall growth.

• prayerrock
    12 years ago

Actually what works for the plant is very much to do with were a person lives...we have to adapt things to help the plant to thrive in the environment we live in...what works for me wont work for some one living in hawaii were it is much more humid or florida. My air is much more dry so I have to adapt that. We all have to adapt our plants to our living environments. It is silly to think they can just all live the exact same no matter were they are.

Mary

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Sorry, but pls. explain what it means that you've 'flushed most of them'? Would that be w/ water? if so, why? My sense is they're not needing more water at all, sorry, if I'm confused.

12 years ago

If the Jade develops root-rot every winter, then clearly it needs a more appropriate mix.
    That is where you should start. Since you're in a humid area, cut the organic fraction of the mix way down.
    Use perlite, pumice, gravel, or grit to provide structure and durability and to reduce moisture volume.

Mrlike2u makes a good point about local growing conditions.
    I live in a very dry area; he and MeyerMike live in a much more humid area. Yet we still use
    a remarkably similar mix - or, rather, we base our mixes on the same principles of drainage
    and aeration, and then assemble our mixes together from local ingredients.

Instead of altering our potting mix, we simply adapt our watering habits.
    In dry areas, we water more often. In humid areas, we water less often.

Josh

• sutremaine
    12 years ago

"...I took it to the local nursery today. They seemed to think it's underwatering that is the issue."

In a very roundabout way and from a certain point of view, they're right. Underwatering results in the plant losing more water than it takes in through its roots, and if overwatering kills the roots then they can't take up water for the plant. The dark grey withering is a sign of low water levels. I've had it in some Jades in a new gritty mix and small pots, but in those cases the leaves I lost were old and a little flabby.

Get the mix and the watering right and your Jade should take right off. If it's lived this long looking that sad and half-dying in winter it's a very vigourous plant.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

I apologize. 'Abuse' was a poor word to choose.

I am sure you care very much for your plants. Improper care by accident for a plant is a nicer way to put it. I think most fall victim to this and growing any plant successfully can sometimes be a learning curve.

The help here as been great and I wish you the best.

Mike

• mrlike2u
    12 years ago

Flushing : If I place a container under a flow of water until all the residual water already in the container has passed though the same container including the water I added would be the best way I could word "flushing"

Keep in mind that the free draining soil will also allow the now running water into the container to drain out about as quickly as I add it in removing residual salts that may also be in the container and a modest amount of moisture will remain in the container to also dry with in the same restrictions as Josh has stated.

Understand that by the use of a free draining soil that it is very difficult to over water even for me on the most humid days of summer.

A tell tail sign of under watered jades are wrinkly, flatter & somewhat shriveled leaves, not black and decayed black. Black decayed leaves is a sign of root rot and the lack of taking up water that they sit right on top of also known as perched water. Your jade roots are actually drowning in the same water you think they're taking up.

Take the advice of those who suggest a fast/free draining soil for a re-potting and forget the garden center that suggest you continue to treat/grow the plant the same way you have been. If they where right your original problem would of never been posted.

This is the reason why a compact type/ peat soil or a co co fiber soil isn't the best soil for arid/ dry/drought tolerant succulent plants Vs. A free draining soil is the more ideal soil to use. Peat and co co fiber take more time to let water flow freely and will prevent the "flushing" action from happening these soil media materials cause perching of the same water that I would use to flush. A jade in perched/standing water is a dying jade.

• NALX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So I changed the medium to a 1/3 coir soil mix, 1/3 perlite, and 1/3 sand. I trimmed it way back, there are no leaves on it anymore. The roots did not look prolific in any way when changing to the new medium, there was a lot of small fiber roots near the base but there was only a few, what I would call, larger roots (2-3). I am hoping it can recover. I will update if it helps. Is there any chance this is some sort of bacteria?

12 years ago

NALX,

I'm sorry, but your mix is still too non-porous. 50% perlite at least, maybe 50% coir mix, and no sand - sand is not your friend. Please take the time to reread the above posts - most Crassula ovata fatalities are caused by inappropriate soil and too much watering - your current direction vis a vis your current soil will only add to that death count.

Do not water it (I repeat, do not water it). Ever (I'm kidding, but you don't need to water it until it's growing).

Get the mix correct and post a pic of it in the new mix. I will then offer you my suggestions, or our colleagues here will jump in with further information. How's that?

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Nalx:

I too would not use that kind of mix you are using, epsecially it is prone to root rot for you every winter.

You also said that it has been very HOT. Correct me if I am wrong anyone, but I think Jades tend to hybernate in temps that hot which would explain an even greater risk of root rot in a mix that stays wet for too long after a watering, even after it has dried out.

It may be 20 years old, but even a plant that old is susceptable to rot, even more so from stress year after year.

Having a better mix than the one it has been in will be much more forgiving on your watering practices.
    A mix that will dry out in a much more rapid amount of time and one that will be drench only for a few seconds, then remain just 'moist' for a bit.

I know many that leave their Jades in full HOT sun including I, and they do not burn when the roots of such a plant are functioning properly.
    What you have is a classic sign of root rot since the roots should be much larger at that age, and the inability for the roots to take up moisture properly due to some very importants factors explained here is prevelant.

The writing on the wall for most of us here is what you had quoted

"It's been through similar but not quite as hot. It's about a 10 year old clone, it would have issues of trunk rot when brought inside for the winter but would always thrive again when returned outside".
    Your

Have a good day:-)

• mrlike2u
    12 years ago

See the blue line ?

Put mouse arrow on blue line

Place index finger on left mouse button.

A well hidden top secret NASA product that NASA uses to grow really nice Jades ..... Ready ?........ click it.

then move eyes to top right corner

Again I repeat your jade is dying in the soil choice you let a garden center make for you, you need a better media/soil change for the jade that you are stubbornly trying to avoid.
    Your roots are drowning in the same water you and the garden center think there taking up. A slow but sure drowning of the roots is what prevents them from taking up water while you/they (at the garden center) think the plant needs more water speeding up the root rot or drowning/dying process.
    By now I realize that a laboring & somewhat educated person working at a garden center has convinced you that others who are trying to get you to grow a better jade in a better soil are wrong and they are right. Maybe they already gave you the usual don't listen to people on the internet speech already and have convinced you that there the best in the business. Well there business is to make money. Do you really think they care ?

Okay lets just say we are wrong and the garden center is right then you might want to do a couple more things.

If you care to, by use of google search engine look up the natural growing conditions of a (Please spell check this for me charris) crassula (Jade) you might notice they grow on there own in a rocky out crop slightly better than the one you have in a co co fiber or peat based soil.

It's not a coincidence it's because there isn't any co co fiber or peat based soils in a rocky out crop. The slightly educated person at the garden center didn't know this, if they did they still wouldn't tell you as it doesn't make any business sense or dollars.

After you've done this or not done this at least try to consider that at least one person on this forum/thread might have grown jades longer than the person at the garden center has had there job at the garden center, maybe one us is a long time cacti succulent club member, maybe one of us has been to or even lives in a natural out door jade growing area. But do know that of those who have commented on this topic at least three of them have great growing jades in the same exact media/mix you need to grow yours in

C'mon give us GW forum people a little credit and just re-pot that jade do we really need to post some pics ? Then read some other threads.

• josh17452
    12 years ago

Quick! My jade plant was left outside too long! The two main branches have started to drop and all the leafs are dead. Is there anyway to save it???

Josh

12 years ago

Josh,

Why sure, we do quick - it depends.

If all of the leaves are dead it's still possible to save it.

And you're welcome.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Josh,

I see you signed on today, guessing in a bit of a panic.

Pls. provide more info. &/or pix, as we can't know what's wrong w/this little info.

If it was "outside too long" in Texas in 110 degrees, it's likely cooked & sunburned. If it was out too long in the rain it could be water logged & soggy.

If you can't post pix, can you describe the leaves you say are dead? Dry & crunchy or soft & mushy? Are the droopy branches thin & transparent, soft & mushy, or dry & brittle?

Until we know what the problem is, we can't say whether we can help you save it or not.

We'd like to help you, but need more info. pls. to do so.

• josh17452
    12 years ago

Thanks for responding ! It was out too long in the cold. Never over watered. The leaves are mostly soft and brown. But some are crispy. There are even soft spots in the two branches coming off the main truck. Now I'm no master Gardner and its really only about 6 inches tall but it means much to me to see it live. I'd greatly appreciate any sort of help

12 years ago

Hey, Josh.

It might still be alive in the lower trunk/roots. Depends on how hard it was frozen.
    The important thing to do now is to get it out of the container and all soil removed.
    Anyhow, I've had this very thing happen, and I documented the results.
    See the link below.

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Frozen Jade - back from the dead....

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Thanks for the details, I had to go but figured others would pick up on this as Josh (Greenman28) did.

Whatever you do, pls. don't water it (sorry if this is obvious, not sure it would be).

• dr.katie
    11 years ago

Eek! What is happening? It was fine @ the beginning of summer - we choose to keep it indoors this summer and now it looks lik this...we have been trying to root the leaves, with minimal success...we have had this plant for MANY years &we were very happy with it until now...we have been ignoring it, basically like we have done for years...top branches feel hollow, bottom still feels solid. Is there anything to be done to save this old friend? It won't let me upload my photo!

11 years ago

Dr.Katie, post a pic in a new Thread, and we'll see what we can do.

Josh

• dr.katie
    11 years ago

here is the photo (finally)...willing to have all suggestions. we are trying to get some "babies" from the leaves that have fallen off...

we have not changed the *type* of soil it is growing in for many years, though it has been repotted (not recently).

11 years ago

Lookin' pretty bad...

But the leaves should grow into plantlets.

I'd prune the branches back to live tissue, unpot, remove any dead roots, dust any rotten roots with cinnamon,
    and then re-pot in a dry, fast-draining, porous mix in a smaller container. I would wait to water for about
    3 - 5 days, in order to give any damaged roots a chance to form a callus.

How much light does this plant receive?

Josh

• Palash Kataria
    6 years ago

Hi I bought a crassula / jade plant recently. I am an amateur enthusiast of succulents. It was going fine for almost a month when a 3 days ago I accidentally broke one of healthiest leaves in this baby crassula.

The next day the whole baby plant limped. I was afraid it was due to overwatering so I kept it for a day in sun...about 105 degrees outside.

Now it looks like its shriveled and burnt...the soil was almost dried.

I have tried to capture the stem condition as well.

Somebody help me revive this or tell me how can I grow a new one from its parts...

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio