Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarav2003

Succulent Tipping Over

sarav2003
11 years ago

Hello,

I have a succulent and I have no idea what kind it is. It flowered in the summer and still has new growth but is starting to tip over and I'm not sure why. It might be the weight of the flowers but I'm not sure. Can you please help me to figure out what I should do with it? I will post a few pictures of it.

Thanks in advance,

Sara

Comments (7)

• sarav2003
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The flowers!

• sarav2003
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here it is kind of tipping.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I think it needs much more light than what it is getting. It is etiolated beyond belief. I think it is an echeveria. Can you put it outside or in a kitchen window?

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Sara,

It's great that it bloomed for you, but it's starved for light, that's why it's grown so tall & spindly (that's what etiolated means, stretched out too tall from straining to the light).

If you do a search for Echeveria, you'll see that in normal conditions, these grow into short, squat plants.

They would normally be outdoors in full sun all day long. If you put yours out you'd need to do it very gradually or it'll burn.

• sarav2003
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi guys. I moved it to an area with more light. This room actually gets quite a bit of light but I guess the corner I had it in wasn't the best one to choose!

Will the plant now become stronger and be able to hold it's own weight if I keep it in good light? I'm afraid it's going to fall over and die. Thank you!

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

No, I'm sorry it won't become strong enough to hold itself up & is bound to fall over some time. Since they're meant to be short & squat plants (as said above, like 4-6" in height), they have no way to support this abnormally tall growth.

You could pluck off individual leaves from which to start new plants & grow them in improved circumstances.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

No, once deformed by lack of light, there is no going back. The stalk might strengthen but the plant will always be stretched out. The best bet is to cut it back to a couple of inches from the soil and wait. One can take some leaves from the bloom stalk (keeping a section of stalk and root it. One can do the same from the leaves below. The very top portion of the plant , not the bloom stalk, but what would be the rossette, can be chopped off and rooted . In a normal condition, it would look like a rossette. Again, the plant is in a weakened stressed state and this might not work but it is insurance. I grow plants mostly outdoors so I don't know how this plant will respond or if it will remain despondant.

The plant pictured below might not be your species of echeveria. This is how mine looks like. It is grown in morning sun and bright light. Texas sun is very unforgiving for an echeveria, so I have it backed off from full exposure in the height of summer. The winter sun hits it though. You are looking at two plants here. I cut off the rossette towards you because it had leaned over and develoed a long trunk. I am rooting the very top rossette and making a plant.

{{gwi:623053}}