Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
_sbgibbons_

Jade advice needed, Please!!

_sbgibbons_
9 years ago

A couple weeks ago, I bought a group of plants that weren't in the greatest shape from someone that was moving for $20 and with it came this Jade. It's pretty old, but it has seen some better days. It's sunburned, has some completely dead limbs, and in very compacted soil. I only own a baby Gollum Jade, which I've never had to prune yet, so I'm not sure what to do. Can someone give me some advice on how to correctly prune this Jade? Also should I prune it, then put into a gritty mix or do that do vice versa? And does anyone have any idea what kind of jade this is so I can read up on it? Any additional advice would be helpful as well.

{{gwi:623122}}
I added a lighter for a size comparison.

{{gwi:623123}}
You can see that about half of the leaves have a pretty had sunburn.

{{gwi:623124}}
Here you can see the dead limb. Half of it is dead and hollow and can easily be broken off, while the other half is healthy and has nice growth.

{{gwi:623125}}
Another angle of the dead limb.

{{gwi:623126}}
You can tell the previous owners tried to cut it off, but I guess stopped in the middle of it for some reason? There is also new shoots coming out from random parts of the pot. Should I leave those be?

{{gwi:623128}}
And here's the front view.

Thanks in advance! -Sam :)

Comments (7)

• brewerbonsai
    9 years ago

you should probably repot it in better soil and give it a big trim The great thing about jades is that they are pretty forgiving. I received a jade plant a few months ago. it was leggy and starved for light. I chopped the tops off, and rooted them. I also kept the small trunks and put them in a window and they are growing leaves
    So cut it back and save the scraps. :)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• _sbgibbons_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I plan on repotting it into a gritty mix, but I'm not sure if I should do that before or after I prune it. Also, what do I use to prune something this large? I usually use a knife or scissors on my cacti and succulents, but that's obviously not going to work. Maybe a saw for the big branch? But that seems wrong.. Isn't there a right and a wrong way to prune? I don't want to just chop away, you know? thank you for your help! :)

• brewerbonsai
    9 years ago

I'd re-pot it now and wait a few months for it to recover, and then chop it back. I'd use cleaned pruners to chop it when you're ready.
    That's going to produce a lot of cuttings. how fun. :)

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I, too, would repot first. You may find that you can easily separate them. You could pot them up separately (my personal preference) or group them to your liking. Then you can have a better look at the plant for pruning.

What an odd attempt at pruning! It looks like it was a sizable trunk/stem, too.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    9 years ago

These sticks were whacked off of a larger tree and shipped to me from California. I put them in a gritty mix and let them be.
    {{gwi:94249}}
    The OP is in zone 9, so trimming and repotting won't hurt them. They have a strong will to live. Here's one of those sticks from this spring.
    {{gwi:623129}}

Rob

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

You shouldn't have any problem using a sharp knife, don't use scissors since they 'squish' the stems.
    Pick off dead/dried leaves, remove the dead trunk (if necessary cut the rest off but it will probably come off easily). Off that trunk, cut off all healthy branches, let them callus for few days & pot up.
    Wash off soil from the root ball, trim off any dead or mushy roots & pot in well draining mix. I would separate them too if multiple plants - but do as you like.
    As recommended above, let recover for couple/few months, then chop to your liking.
    I can't ID it since I don't want to give wrong ID...but reddish color on leaves is no problem, it was grown in full sun (I think it may turn more green if you keep it in less sun-hope I am right!!!)

Rina

• _sbgibbons_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay thank y'all so much for all of your help! I'm going to repot it today after I finish crushing lava rocks. And I think I will repot them separately. :)

Do y'all think the same goes for a portulacaria afra?

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor