Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flapjack (Kalanchoe thyrsifolia) tipping

Posted by greenisgood 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 07 at 20:01

I was recently gifted a flapjack which one of my co-workers had at her desk for the past year under flourescent lights. It seems to be very healthy, but has tipped over the side of the pot. I would like to trim it, or clone it, or stake it up. So it can stand tall and proud, and maybe fill outward. But I am not sure what to do. From other posts I have read the babies sound healthier then the parent plants. Could you please tell me how to either 1) prune it back, 2) clone it and re-plant a shorter portion.. or which other options I have? Thank you for your plant wisdom!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb90/willowtree100/?action=view¤t=flapjack.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flapjack (Kalanchoe thyrsifolia) tipping

This plant needs more sun. Do you know what kind of soil it is potted in?
(Personally, I have never seen one of these grown successfully indoors) Am including a link so that you may see what a healthy flapjack looks like. You may wish to re-pot it in a fast draining soil (no peat) and set it outside in bright shade to acclimate to full sun. hth - Jo

Here is a link that might be useful: flapjack

o

That is very small. Mine, when I bought it was way bigger than that even potted. Once they flower, the stalk will flop over and that mother plant will die. By the time this happened with mine, it had put out five pups around its base. Your guy seems a bit malnurished. This plant loves full sun and will red around the edges the way it did is Jo's link.

o

well.. it has flopped over, this is true. I can put it in full sun for awhile to see if any pups come up. any advice on cutting it and forcing roots? It is potted in a nice gravel now.. drains very well.

o

Did you just repot this plant? If so, when you had it out of the dirt did you see any roots? or have they rotted off? Is the main stem nice and firm or mushy?
Don't set it directly into the sun right away as it may sunburn. Set it in bright shade or filtered sun for at least a week and let it acclimate to more light...then move it out into more sun. hth - Jo
(oh...these plants pup when they flower and this one is not going to flower until it is healthier.)

o

I have not re-potted it. Main stem is nice and firm. It started dropping leaves from the bottom of the stem (closest to the gravel) since I moved it out to my covered porch which gets good sun. (now I feel bad for the little guy that I moved him away from the flourescents.at least he was stable there!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here