Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwie2011

ID from a single leaf?

kwie2011
9 years ago

I'm interested in the almost diamond-shaped leaf with the darker margins. I think it might be an Anacampseros, maybe A .telephiastrum. Pretty sure the sprouted one is a Sedum of some kind. I picked them up from an empty succulent display a few weeks ago, so I've never seen the plants they came from. I just thought it'd be fun to see if they'd root.

Challenging, huh? :-)

Comments (4)

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

I'm not sure with the first one, but the sedum one I think I have the same seedling from some cuttings, so I'd like to know what they are as well!

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, look at that. I believe you're right. You don't also pick up stray leaves, do you? It's a sickness. I just "rescued" a broken leaf from a Sansevieria in the grocery store today.

You're little plants look great. My largest is still not much more than a bump. How long did it take yours to get to where they are? Very nice.

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

Haha I used to do that at big box stores, but apparently that is sort of frowned upon here... because some nurseries might save those for propagation themselves. But I really only picked up the ones that were literally lying there like trash. Anywho, I laid these in bright light for a few days without any potting medium, and started to see small leaves developing and waited a few more days for some roots. Then I potted them up in 70% perlite and 30% soil and move them to sunny spot, and they've been growing quite well ever since, they definitely have the best growth in all my leaf cuttings. I think what you see here is 2 and a half weeks in, maybe 3.

As mentioned before I haven't seen all my plants for week since I'm on vacation, can't wait to see them tomorrow night.. hopefully nothing happened over the week!

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

David - I found our mystery Sedum(?) species in a local nursery among the Aeoniums. I forgot to ask what it was, but I think it might be Sedeveria 'jet beads.' All the fallen leave were sprouting. They are like weeds!

It might be helpful to know that they were growing well in very wet soil - the same soil their Aeonium arboreum atropupureums were growing in. Downright WET. They also told me that during the winter they cover them but do not heat them, so they're pretty darn cold and water tolerant.

S. 'Jet Beads' photos I've seen are pretty, maybe because they're red and have all their leaves. The ones at the nursery are cruddy shade of green, not red, maybe because they don't get enough sun under the screen, but the Aeoniums they're in with have good color, so I don't know. Anyway, I'm about 90% sure they're the same plant. Whatcha think?

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider