Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emee_gw

succulents

emee
9 years ago

I promised myself I wouldn't ask another dumb question but .....how can plants, such as succulents, live in a mix that is mostly grit, pumice, or perlite?

My many years of gardening experience has been with plants that need fertilizer & rich soil to thrive. This concept of soilless mix just boggles my mind. I love succulents but their care would be neglect for any other plant. Maybe this will eventually feel normal to me. Thanks.

Comments (6)

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

I'm no expert but I think that most of these plants are from rocky areas (mostly S. Africa) and even if there's any kind of soil, it's very lean and doesn't have too much nutrients. I think that's why they like grittier soil because all they need is some moisture to suck up and store in their fleshy leaves and that's it.
    I might be just b-sing too, so don't count on me! xD

• emee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, sounds logical to me.

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Other plants can live in the gritty mix also. It has something to do with the roots getting better airation (I know I spelled that wrong) but if you look on container gardening Al (tapla) has explained everything nicely. The only thing with the gritty mix is that you have to fertilize because there is almost no nutrients except in the bark (which from my understanding isn't much) besides my succulents I have put (I forget the name at the moment) some type of house plant in it and it's already put out new growth in just a weeks time. SEVERAL of my succulents have put out ATLEAST four or more NEW leaves. It really astonishes me to see the change SOOOO quickly. I was a little skeptical at first but knowing that succulents need excellent drainage and reading others posts on the forum I knew they would do good (it was worth the try knowing that they weren't doing that great in cactus soil for me anyway) (atleast not after a few months) but now they're doing GREAT!!! Hope I was helpful! :)

• Laura Robichaud
    9 years ago

I grow a few African Violets in 1/2 perlite and 1/2 AV soil as many people on the AV board recommend. I decided at the end of last year to start two AV plants from leaves from the same plant, put them in the same window, use the same fertilizer (Foliage Pro), but put one in the 1/2 perlite and 1/2 AV soil and the other in Gritty Mix. Here is the picture of the two plants that I took a couple of weeks ago. The violet with the flower is in the Gritty Mix.

I did have to water the Gritty Mix violet more often because the soil dried out faster. I didn't, however, add fertilizer at every watering, so each plant received basically the same amount of fertilizer.

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

See the difference!!! AWESOME!! I can't wait until mine REALLY take off!! (They've only been in it for almost two weeks) but I can tell the difference! How often did you find yourself watering in your gritty mix? I'm just curious. Mine seems 4to 5 days. Thanks!

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Not a stupid question at all The more you ask the more you learn.

How suxs grow better ? or why suxs grow better ? The science of moving oxygen found in water by passing it through porous potting materials is what allows roots to breath.

In comparison to any bagged soil VS. the grit mix ( soil) materials you ask about provide superior airation allowing for moisture ( with oxygen) to flow more evenly allows roots to breath more evenly and easily.

Iv' e scanned the mentioned AGM topic for a fast read over a few times
    It's a lot of words to understand for some folks not enough words for others
    (on the subject of gritty mixes)
    Some modifications to the mixes may need some slight adjusting for each persons individual needs but over all the reading in my opinion is as accurate as you would need for any plant with roots to have healthy breathing roots.

Balance both environments, the one inside the pot and the one on top of the pot. It's easier to balance and maintain the root environment in an easier to breath porous soil, not as easy to balance and maintain with other soils

AV subject It's easier for me to let the ( old schoolers) do what they do. I've had mine in SWC's grit mixes sence day one ( some as old as six years) with the same FP feeding Totaly agree with you, as they say it can't be done only means.... I do enjoy defiance.