Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deva33atlanta

I got some new additions!!!

Hi All...

I just wanted to share that I purchased some new baby succulents at, of all places, Walgreens! I ran in to grab a drink and just couldn't help myself when I saw them at $2 a piece. They were packed in some terrible soil but I got them all fixed up now!

If any of you could help with identification that would be wonderful!

Comments (24)

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also purchased these. The really pitiful looking one I found at lowes. It looks like it was surely going to die and I was compelled to try to save it. These are my first "living rocks" so any tips on them would be appreciated. And again, don't know the species of these.

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

#3 is Panda plant still working on the others.

Stoney

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And finally.... in their new homes. I figure I will have to slowly bring them into the direct light, but I expect they will be thriving here soon. Fingers crossed!

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Stoney! Now I just need to buy some little tags to stick in their pots so I remember!

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Hmmmmmm.......I wonder if other walgreens got succulents in to? Lol I'll have to look! Good luck with yournew babies!! :)

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

I had a living rock once. They have incredible flowers!

Stoney

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

#3 is Kalanchoe tomentosa aka Panda Plant.

Your living stones are a Pleiospilos nelli (the bigger ones) and some kind of lithops (with the flat head).

Nancy

• kwie2011
    9 years ago

Hi Deva. You have some cool finds there! I'm going to have to check Lowe's for succulents. I'd love Love a Pleisopilos or Lithops for $2! So cool! I have the same little purple guy as in your very first photo. I also posted for ID of it. I'm totally clueless about it.

You didn't ask, but I hope you won't mind me pointing out a couple of potential problems with your little collection. First, lithops are VERY tricky. It looks like you planted yours in damp potting soil. I fear it will die very soon if you don't get it into a very well-draining substrate like gravel, pumice, gritty mix, etc., and get it dry. Lithops will die very quickly in damp soil. It will look fine until suddenly it's beyond saving. Their watering schedule is tricky. If I could open another tab, I'd find the watering instructions and post a link for you, but I can't. You can find specific instructions by Googling "lithops watering instructions" or something similar.

2nd, if those are bowls, you'll need to drill holes in the bottoms for very good drainage or they'll rot after the first watering.

3rd, if that is standard potting soil or a commercial succulent mix, it won't drain fast enough even with holes in the bowls. To be safe, cut it at least 50% with perlite, pumice, or anything that doesn't absorb water, or make your own mix. Al's gritty mix recipe is all over this website and people love it.

I hope you don't mind the unsolicited advice. Good luck with them all!

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the id Nancy!

And thank you for the advice kwie2011. I am new to lithops and was thinking they would be less water tolerant than other succulents. I took the pic right after I watered them, so it would look damp, but I probably won't water again fora few weeks. The mix is actually 1/3 cactus mix, 1/3 perlite, and 1/3 lava rock. I don't like the mix too gritty because I don't have the time to water them too often. and I did drill holes in the bottom. My boyfriend thought I was crazy and tried to stop me but I had to tell him I knew what I was doing and to let me be!

• kwie2011
    9 years ago

Someone IDed my little blue guy as Graptoveria 'Debbie.' That's the little chalky blue rosette in your first photo. It's a hybrid. I was told it is a good starter succulent and easy to grow.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Good luck with all of them!

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

I fear you will lose your lithops in that soil and container. The other plants will probably do fine, but that bowl is too shallow and that soil isn't fast-draining enough for the lithops. It needs to be a lot more gravelly, and a little bit deeper, due to the lithops' long taproot. I only know this because I've killed every lithops I've had. :(

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

They will all look better once they grow more compactly (looking etiolated right now). I'd say:
    1. xGraptoveria 'Debbi' (kwie has it)
    2. Anacampseros rufescens
    3. Kalanchoe tomentosa (as others said)
    4. Crassula perforata

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Generally Walgreens, CVS, Albertsons, etc. will just label the tag "Cactus".

Stoney

• kwie2011
    9 years ago

I wouldn't have guessed Anacampseros rufescens for number 2. I have a very small specimen, but mine is white, pink, green, and purple. This must be the difference between growing in sun or shade. Get that guy into some sun! :-)

A warning: the leaves of mine break off at the drop of a hat. I've only had it a week or so, but I suspect over-watering in the shop. The leaves are excessively turgid - like fat little ticks. About half broke off before I even got it home. I don't know much about the plant yet, but maybe my experience so far can save you some leaves! I'm attempting to root the fallen leaves. Don't know yet if that will work.

• kwie2011
    9 years ago

I wouldn't have guessed Anacampseros rufescens for number 2. I have a very small specimen, but mine is white, pink, green, and purple. This must be the difference between growing in sun or shade. Get that guy into some sun! :-)

A warning: the leaves of mine break off at the drop of a hat. I've only had it a week or so, but I suspect over-watering in the shop. The leaves are excessively turgid - like fat little ticks. About half broke off before I even got it home. I don't know much about the plant yet, but maybe my experience so far can save you some leaves! I'm attempting to root the fallen leaves. Don't know yet if that will work.

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for the ids and the tips on the lithops! So they have deep roots huh? How deep of a container do they need? I'm a little disappointed about that because I love how they look in the bowl.

And exactly how gritty are we talking here? I know everyone on here can get pretty passionate about the soil mix they prefer. I personally have done well with the mix I described and I only water them every 2-4 weeks, depending on the time of year and whatnot. But I understand if the lithops just need an extremely gritty mix.

I am also happy to see how colorful the Anacampseros rufescens (#2) can be! They were not in any kind of sun so I am introducing them slowly. I will post new pics after they get acclimated.

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

The Lithops could be fine in short term but in the long run is definitely not going to thrive, if not in danger of dying. The bowls are beautiful, but does it have a draining hole? Also other than the mix, you also need to plant them much deeper, they prefer to be planted so that only the window (top of the leave) is showing on the surface, especially when they're already a bit etiolated right now. But good for you to for trying to save these plants, best of luck on them!

The split rock Pleiospilos nelii (your green one) is also having some trouble. First of all, it doesn't seem like it have much roots left, so be very cautious with watering it, I would say it doesn't need water for at least a whole month or even 2 months. Because these should only have 2 pairs of leaves at the maximum. One of yours have two right now with third already emerging, which means it is not quite where it should be, and also means it doesn't need watering until the old leaves are gone.

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks David. Yes, I did drill holes in all of the bowls.

The Pleiospilos nelii is in terrible shape! Which is why I posted that pic. The outer leaves were mushy so I actually removed the mushy ones. Do you think it is good or bad that I did that? We will see how things go. I will order some more grit to add to the soil and get them in a deeper pot ASAP. Unfortunately though I have to order grit online because I can't find any here.

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

No problem, that's good to hear!

Hm I think the outer leaves are supposed to be a bit mushy when they're being absorbed, they will slowly shrivel up till they're completely dried. The ones in your first picture with number 1 seems okay, but again I would keep that one dry until the outer leaves are gone. The ones in the bottom part of the picture looks a bit worse, and if you were talking about removing the leaves from those I think it's alright, just have to observe and see how they do from here.

How deep is that bowl? It's hard to tell from the picture angle. I would say it's probably going to be okay if you fill the soil to almost the brim of the bowl and then plant your lithops as I said before. Some decorative rocks on top will help holding your soil together and make the perlite stay without floating as much, by the way. Mine is in a 4" terracota clay pot, which is recommended among lithops growers because it helps with drain and dries out fast as well.

Best of luck!

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Kwie, your plant is the cultivar 'Sunrise'. The species will not turn those colors. Sorry, Deva.

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dang rosemariero! I was looking forward to all that pink! However, it does flower. It had some pitiful dried blooms on it when I bought it so at least I have that to look forward to!

David - Thanks for the tips! The bowl is pretty shallow, maybe 3 inces or so. I think I may go ahead and get them in something deeper since I will need to get them in grittier soil anyway. I have seen them with rocks before and wasnt sure if that served a specific purpose, but that makes sense. I have most of my succulents in standard clay pots. I was trying to change it up a bit. But I think I may need to get something a little more tolerant in there.

On a different note. I gave away some small jade plants I propagated from cuttings and now people are going to bring me two different cacti! I was trying to not have my plants take over my balcony but it seems I just cant! lol

• kwie2011
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry to get your hope up, Deva. I didn't know mine wasn't the standard plant. So sorry. :-( I'll send you some leaves if they ever grow, though. Trade you for something. :-D

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Its okay kwie... I'll be happy if I can get this little guy to bloom :-)