Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aloe plant turning brown but green and firm at base

Posted by drea1974 texas (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 08 at 20:27

Ok, my uncle died and left me his aloe vera plant. I have done well taking care of it. I placed it outside in the light and heat and it was just fine. I left last weekend to pack up my old house, when I returned my aloe was drooping, and brown from the mid leaf up to the tips. The thing is though the brown parts (some anyway) were dry and crisp while others were mushy. It is weird. I was told by a "pro" to cut off and remove the crispy leaves and then to cut some parts of the mushy brown leaves off. But I don't know if this is sound advice. Please help. I was using this plant for my natural hair products and do not wish it to die.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aloe plant turning brown but green and firm at base

Is it in full sun?

You might try putting it in less sun.

How long did it go without water?

Josh

o

Josh,
I think the problem was the sun and the water. I left it i the sun for a week while I was gone, it rained for three days and when I got back the pot was full of water and the plant was brown and green. I have removed the brown parts and I am going to repot it to night. I will see if it can be brought back.

o

I think you just explained why it looks so bad. Perhaps if you let it dry out it will put out new roots at the base. I would take off the bad leaves, so the plant can concentrate on growing new roots. I trim off old leaves all the time before I put them in new soil. Put this plant in semi shade protect from direct light until it shows some life. Plant in dry soil, and wait at least a week before giving it water, if it doesn't have healthy roots it can't use the water, and will rot. Aloe Vera the leaves turn brown due to the sun, it sounds like a true species to me, but it need to get used to strong light sun gradually. Make sure the pot has a drainage hole, and the soil very porus with no peat moss, use Perlite or pumice which ever is available and lots of coarse consruction sand that has been washed, only 20% organic matter like orchid bark. I hope this has been of some help. Norma

o

It's not too much water. When aloe is used to being indoors, sudden exposure to direct sunlight will make it scorch. This leaves the leaves (pun!) turning red. I don't know why, or the chemistry behind it. Usually one day will only make the aloe reddish brown. The leaves will also loose it's rigid texture for a while. If you remove from direct sunlight before it's too late, the plants will regenerate and be greener than ever in 'bout 3-5 days. If you are too late, their consistency will remain like gelatin filled spikes, and very "oozy". They will also retain their brownish color, and slowly....DIE.

Don't think this phenomenon is only for succulents. All plants will require a "hardening" period before transplanting them outside. Leave your aloes in partial shade or have a stand that will stop sunlight directly above, but allow light when the sun is lower in the sky. Aloes should adapt, because it's their nature to be in direct sunlight.

I know because I would always transplant my aloes outside, and wonder why the heck they would always die.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here