Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
succulentabus

Help with Pleiospilos nelii

succulentabus
10 years ago

I went to Albertson's the other day and several poor succulents threw themselves into my cart. But some of them are new to me, and some have problems. I have several questions about identities and problems, but this one is the most pressing to me.

What's wrong with this Pleiospilos nelii? When it threw itself into my cart it was being drenched by an employee (along with a lithop, which also made its way home with me), which is why I grabbed it. So I don't know how much water it has been getting, or what sun, but I must assume that it's a lot of both. I do know that it isn't pretty.

Does it need water (hasn't been watered since last Saturday)? Why is the baby's tip brown and funky? What are those brown spots and are they permanent? What kind of light should I give it? My babies are on a west-facing balcony in Southern California that gets a lot of sun, but I can control the amount of sun individual plants gets fairly well.

I have more pics if needed. Thanks.

Comments (5)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

That looks more like a Pleiospilos bolusii. The spots look like some type of fertilizer spots. Don't know for sure. The new growth will slowly replace that one. It will take a while but will happen. It might come of with a slightly soappy water wash. Careful though.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

It could possibly a form of Cheiridosis Like C. gamopensis. They are more apt to pup, I think. I am way out of my comfort zone here and I don't rally know what I am talking about. I like to make wild guesses just to hear my fingers type.. We need Beachplants. He will know.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 23:49

• Beachplants
    10 years ago

Looks like a "scale" infestation due to the stress of overwatering most probably. I put a link to FAQ for how to get rid of them.

The plant looks like Pleiospilos compactus, possibly ssp. compactus. I would make sure the soil is well drained and check for mealies on the roots as well.

Good morning full sunlight is sufficient, although they can take more. The brown tip is a result of an injury caused by handling or big insect munching.

Always keep an eye on newest leaves in order to determine watering needs, if they are firm, your good.

Here is a link that might be useful: rid my plants of scale

• succulentabus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your help and especially the correct identification! It didn't look like nelii to me but I was going by the tag. I ought to know by now not to trust them, especially since I found an Echeveria azulita in a yellow bulbine pot in the same Albertson's trip.

Also thanks for the tip on scales. What solution concentration should I use?

The leaves are worse today. They are soft (especially the pup) and when I went to take a look at the roots I saw that they were practically non-existent. Tiny clump of roots barely under the surface, some ON the surface. No mealies, no rot that I could see, just very dry at this point. Not squishy, soft. Should I give it a spray? A soak? A mist? Nothing? I know in nelii that the old leaves dry up and new emerge, is that what this one is trying to do? If so, should I avoid ALL watering and let it do its thing?

So many questions, thanks for your help!

• Beachplants
    10 years ago

If it was me, I would put it in new soil, but not light water for at least another week and make sure the infection is under control. No roots mean no way to utilize moisture in any case and you are looking at a few bags of water in any case (leaves). Keep is in light but not sunny conditions in order not to stress it anymore, moisture around the base will cause rot. This will be a slow road to recovery, just try and remove as much of the causes of stress for now and nurse it back.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville