Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
min33

Top view of Paddle Plant- looking bad

This plant has reached 10+ inches PIG and has lost leaves all up the stem for 7 inches. It is in partial shade and has had occasional water all summer. The top leaves look blotchy brown. It has pups that look healthy. Too much water? Not enough? Bad soil? What do I do now? Thx, Min

Comments (14)

• hottomato99
    9 years ago

My guess would be to much water and not enough sun. That guy looks in pretty rough shape. Not too sure how to proceed since paddle plants don't back bud. However, some better draining soil and more sun will help out grow and some pups will fill in around the base. My paddle LOVES its 511 mix, little water and afternoon sun.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Many thanks for your reply and info. Two questions: what is 'back bud' and what is 511 mix? I have been learning from this forum for a year or so and have never heard of either. I am in the HOTTEST area; 95 to 100+ all this past week. Most everything needs some afternoon shade. Min

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Looks like you have a Kalanchoe marmorata or grandiflora (not sure which name is more widely used) aka Pen Wiper Plant, because the leaves look like they are covered in ink spots. Can't tell you what's wrong with it, but I have never heard it called Paddle Plant (that would be K. thyrsiflora and K. luciae).

• hottomato99
    9 years ago

So back budding is when buds, leaves or branches emerge from before the terminal growth of a plant. Our for example I have a scheff that had long bare branches. When I changed the potting mix and gave it some more sun, those bare branches filled in with leaves. It is a sign the plant is healthy. But not all plants will back bud given how they grow. Paddle plants (if that is what you have) will not regrow fallen leaves. They will however sprout pups from around the base. I'll take a photo of mine when I get home.

511 is a soiless growing medium very popular here on the forums. Check this post out.
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg1221344425812.html
    I can't find the most up to date one, but this has all the info you need.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brody -you are so right -the tag says marmorata. It was buried in the dirt. There is a thyrsiflora doing very well right next to it.

HotT -thanks for your answers. Do you think, since it's not a paddle plant, it might fill in?
    If not, could I cut it off and try to root the top, but maybe kalanchoes don't do that.
    I will look at the 511 info too. Much appreciated! Min

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ahhh Just realized my question was pretty dumb. Monday morning. Need coffee. Thx anyway. Min

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

seriously doubt your other Kalanchoe is a thyrsiflora... very rare species... much more likely is a Kalanchoe luciae (aka Paddle Plant)

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK thanks. I will make a more permanent note of that. Min

• kwie2011
    9 years ago

When I firstl saw it, my immediate thought was that some kind of sap-sucking insect had gotten it because of the way the leaves curl inward, and the pattern of the necrotic tissue.

I am NOT experienced with succulent diseases; I have only minimal experience with insect infeststions of any kind, and I don't know your species at all, but since the other posters aren't entirely confident in their diagnosis, maybe it would be a good idea to get a very close look at it for tiny insects. If it were mine, I'd use a magnifying glass because some pests are essentially invisible to the naked eye. You can also hold a white piece of paper under it and give it a sharp tap to knock pests into the paper where they're more visible. I flick plants with my index finger.

Thrips come to mind, but part of the reason I thought of them was the blotching, but I didn't know that was normal for your plant. As I said, I lack sufficient experience. Still, it wouldn't hurt to check. A mixture of dish soap, water, and alcohol in a spray bottle is often enough to get rid of pests. It isn't harmful the plant (just wash it down, don't get it in the soil), so you have nothing to lose.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Kwie- I will do those things! Min

• hottomato99
    9 years ago

Hey, so this is my paddle plant. it was pretty sad before i switched it's soil and put it outside where it gets afternoon sun. You can still see some of the old sad limp looking leaves on the bottom The red is from lots of sun when it wasn't really used to it.

• hottomato99
    9 years ago

The pup in the bottom of the plant is how they 'regenerate' and not from re-budding.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

to Kwie- I did the magnifier/white paper test but no bugs are apparent so i think I will repot it and treat it differently. Thanks for your help. Min

• kwie2011
    9 years ago

That's the same plant as in the top photo??? Wow. I'd have never guessed.

Glad there were people more helpful than me to assist you. :-).

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County