Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Succulent Identification - Fuzzy Green

Posted by CanuckCacti none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 20:45

Hello- I was hoping someone could help me identify this little succulent I picked up from a grocery store. Its got the same soft fuzzy texture of a Kalanchoe Tomentosa (chocolate soldier etc.) but it looks quite different. Any help would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Succulent Identification - Fuzzy Green

I believe that whatever it is, it's etiolated (growing "stretched out" due to a lack of the proper amount of light). I'm going to throw out a guess of an etiolated Echeveria, perhaps Echeveria pulvinata?

Planto

o

Planto's right, CC. It's an Echeveria, with, as you note, the fuzziness of a Kalanchoe tomentosa 'Chocolate Soldier' or 'Super Fuzzy' but not the geography (New World vs. Old World). It, as noted, needs more bright / direct light, in graduations.

Here are the flowers of K. t. 'Super Fuzzy' in case you haven't seen them - they're mutedly spectacular. It's a plant, of course, which grew in San Diego. I somehow killed my only one K. t. 'CS' obtained here (from Costco, not a reputable nursery).
Photobucket

Where are you in La Belle? I'm in Kamloops.

Cheers,

Jeff

o

I meant to say that K. t. 'CG''s flowers weren't much different, IIRC.

o

Adding to what others have said...I believe it is Echeveria pulvinata 'Frosty'.

o

Thanks Guys thats helpful I'll be sure to place it in full sunlight!

o

Canuck,
Be sure you gradually place it in full sun (although, I think a sunny window would be fine, full sun outdoors depending on your location may be too much). If you outright place it in full sun (it was etiolated for a reason), it is possible you could burn it. You have to sort of get it used to a higher light source over a period of time. Hope that helps.

Planto

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here