Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
succulentabus

What is wrong with my Crassula capitella 'Campfire'?

succulentabus
10 years ago

My Campfire has gone out! What happened? The other things in this pot are happy (sedum of some sort, an ID would save me a separate post, and Kalanchoe tomentosa 'Panda Plant'), but over the summer the campfire has gone out. I usually move it during the day to catch about 6-8 hours of sun, but was gone for 2 weeks with someone watching my plants and cats and came home to much disaster, so I don't know if it maybe was left out and possibly got MORE, but it would not have gotten fewer. I never gets fewer than 4 but usually 6-8.

Also, it's grown so much I've topped it off MANY times this summer, as you can probably see. I'll add a pic of how it looked before.

Comments (6)

• succulentabus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pic

• succulentabus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is March. Campfire glowing brightly!

• Beachplants
    10 years ago

It wants to flower and seems to be growing happily, if a little dryer and back to usual sun it should get more color again. It does grow into nice big bunches and a nice clip after flower will get it little neater.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

As Beachplants said, it should go back to its 'Campfire' look if drier/more sun. Maybe your caregiver was watering more than usual.

The plant you'd like ID'd seems to be Sedum 'Spiral Staircase' to me. (You might find it listed as S. spirale-some of my pix floating around the Net- or Villadia batesii, both of which are incorrect.)

• succulentabus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure it's in 8+ hours of sun and I"ll not water for a while (hasn't been watered in a week at least), see what happens.

Is that also why some of the lower leaves have begun turning downward, as seen in this pic?

Thanks also for the ID. I had guessed 'Staircase' recently, but it was in a pot labeled angelicum (which you can see a TINY bit of at the bottom of the pot). It had a sprig or 2 of angelicum and the rest was 'spiral staircase'. I'm glad it was! It bloomed from March until I went on my vacation. When I came home it had stopped. Probably also too much water, though I gave instructions not to water ANY succulents. Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks again!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Mine is going bananas with blooming also and looks just like that.. I think they put on so much growth so quickly that they don't have time to get red. Maybe it is getting more shade in the summertime sun. That happens with my plants. That winter low sun sneaks under the trees so far. Plants go from being blasted with full day sun to only getting a tiny bit of morning sun on my south facing covered deck. My Campfire is by a tree and it gets much more shade during the afternoon. it but I have it there since the echeverias and it need some protection from Texas summer sun.

Are you coastal or inland. Annie's Annuals mentions it needs some protection from summer sun inland in California. That is why I am apprehensive about putting mine in full sun here. I water about once a week. It has been 102- 104 lately . We are looking to cool down to 99today. Big cold front. LOL No , scattered clouds and the Saharan dust cloud that came all the way from Africa up through Mexico has been blown away by some winds coming from the east. We had some rain cooled air after the 103 was reached.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus