Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmdhistory

What is the best Cactus Food?

bmdhistory
15 years ago

I have been in Cacti and Succulents for the past few years. I have always used Schultz Cactus Food. However, I was wondering if I could be using something better.

Hopefully, some more experienced growers can share their secrets and tips.

Thank you,

Daniel

Comments (9)

• dufflebag2002
    15 years ago

Try Liquidnox, follow the instructions, always water first get a 0-10-10 formula, cut the instructions in half for cactus and succulents, we fertilize after we water every week. Norma

• xerophyte NYC
    15 years ago

the exact formula is probably not so important. what is important is that the macronutrient levels are somewhat diluted, and ensure that all the necessary micronutrients are available, such as Ca, Mg, Mn, Fe, etc. Ca and Mg are especially important for many cactus species.

I have not seen or read any good evidence that low Nitrogen is beneficial. But too much Nitro will probably lead to bloated and weak growth.

x

• bmdhistory
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Where do I buy Liquidnox plant food. I have searched the net to no avail. DO you have a link to a site that sells it?

• txcactus
    15 years ago

I searched too! It's Liquinox. Google it and there are several places where you can buy it.

• bmdhistory
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I found the company website, but there is not a Cacti specific food. So, which one should I get? These are the choices:
    Bloom
    Acid Food
    Grow
    Iron & Zinc
    Citrus & Avocado
    Start with Vitamin B1
    Fish Emulsion

• jefe12234
    15 years ago

Dyna-Gro is the only fertilizer I know of that has all the necessary plant nutrients. Just about all fertilizers have the primary nutrients N-P-K, and many have micronutrients included as well. But very few have the secondary nutrients calcium and magnesium. These can be accounted for by adding garden lime, but that also raises the soil pH and you have to figure out how much to add. Dyna-Gro has all the primary, secondary, and micronutrients included so you don't have to worry about missing/adding anything else. I first heard about it from tapla who is pretty much the container plant guru on these forums. I plan on getting some when my current fertilizer runs out. The Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 is the recommended version since it most closely matches most plants' actual uptake ratios of N-P-K. As for cacti specific fertilizers, I don't think cacti are much different from other plants in this respect except that excess nitrogen may harm them as opposed to other plants which may benefit from it. I just use the quarter strength maintenance dose listed on most fertilizer packages to avoid excess nitrogen.

• joeplant
    15 years ago

I been using 2-3-1 fish fertilizer.does that have all the micronutrients succulents need? joe

• jefe12234
    15 years ago

Organic fertilizers tend to have many different nutrients, especially ocean-based products like fish and seaweed since seawater contains almost every known element. The problem with organic fertilizers is that they require microorganisms to break them down before they are available for uptake by plants. In container soil, conditions change very rapidly so these microorganisms tend to grow erratically which makes nutrient availability erratic as well. Inorganic fertilizers provide an immediate source of nutrients so you know they are available every time you use them.

• molson144_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I am interested in connecting with people who are growing cactus for food markets. Thanks.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!