Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saratonin_gw

How to water baby succulents

Saratonin
9 years ago

Hello all, I am new to the forum and have a question about watering succulents grown from leaves. I have recently taken up the hobby of caring for potted succulents and soon after acquiring my first plants I learned about propagation. So about 6 weeks ago I started the process with a single leaf from my graptoveria debbie that I accidentally broke off during watering. Within a week or two it started growing roots and I was so excited that I went ahead and took a few leaves from my sedeveria sorrento to propagate as well. I started misting them daily/every other day once they had developed significant roots and they have been doing magnificently! My question is, when should I stop the daily misting and start watering them like adult plants? I posted a pic of my little graptoveria debbie twins. My sedeveria babies are just a tad bit smaller and have developed short stems.

Comments (10)

• spikef35
    9 years ago

Just give em water hey can you help me with my post

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

ditto.. We'd be more than happy to help, if we know how to. But please try to keep responding on unrelated threads for people to go to your thread to a minimum...it's just kinda unnecessary.
    Plus, your threads are getting some replies already, perhaps you just have to wait longer for more people to view your thread naturally..

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

Oh I almost forgot! In response to the OP, I would mist them every other day. A good mist though so the top 1-2 inch of the soil is moist. It's what I've been doing anyway for my leaf cuttings, and they're doing quite well.

• Tingz
    9 years ago

Saratonin, thanks for the post! I've been wondering the same thing. So how do you "mist" the plants? Would a spray bottle work? Is it OK for the plants to get wet?

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

Yes, spray bottle will be fine. Try to not get the leaves wet because they will be more prone to rot, but if your environment is dry then it should be okay. I find it quite impossible to only mist the roots/soil.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

David,

Not true - when they're that small, it's beneficial for the entire cutting/pup to be moistened. When you have a full cutting, then you might want to avoid misting the soil - just mist the cutting. If the cutting is rooted, then of course you can water it, accordingly to the rootball's size.

• emee
    9 years ago

Is the leaf in the soil or is it laying on the soil?

It is so cute. Your doing a great job with propagation. I've tried laying the leaves on top of soil, in the soil, placing in perlite & they always rot or dry up. Thanks for sharing.

• Saratonin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the response DavidL.ca, I'll start giving them heavier mistings every other day. Emee, I just lay the leaves on top of the soil. I have another propagation tray of pachyveria blue pearl leaves as well. I started out with 12 but so far have lost 4 to rot. Could be that was just the luck of the draw this time around, but I may have overwatered them a bit. I use about a 50/50 mix of cactus/succulent soil and perlite and keep them on a south-facing windowsill. I also refrain from misting for the first 2 weeks or so until they have grown some nice roots. Good luck with your propagation!

• emee
    9 years ago

Thank you for info.

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz