Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lcadena

Black Widows And Cacti

lcadena
10 years ago

One more question, sorry. My plant, as pictured, the same one I took a nose dive in about a week ago, gets black widow spiders. This is my only plant to date, that houses these horrible creatures. My questions are: is this common?, why this plant, is it harmful, and should I do anything to stop these critters? P.S. I'm terribly afraid of spiders.

Comments (19)

• CactusBoss
    10 years ago

Only harmful to you.

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

They like areas or things that are not disturbed. We also get lots of those critters sometimes on plants or in the chicken house. They're great as an exterminator of bugs.
    K

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

lc,

In SouCal, as pointed out, they're a great eater of insects, but if you're afraid something, you're afraid of it and that's that. I'd guess if extermination is your answer to that get ready to use lots of poison regularly.

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

Black Widows are marvelous creatures. I don't see the problem, as long as you leave the plant outside.

• CactusBoss
    10 years ago

I agree with GermanStar. Black Widows are a great creation of nature and they should be left alone and unharmed. In fact they will avoid confrontation as much as possible and will only bite if there's no place for them to run or if you harass them.

• lcadena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I'll remember this. It's just an old life-long fear.

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

You can always move the cactus into more sun, I suspect that would cause the little spiders to seek new digs.

AFAIK, Black Widow bites became rare events once the indoor toilet rose to prominence.

• lcadena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is in full sun now all day which puzzles me why the spiders choose or chose this plant. Thanks.

• CactusBoss
    10 years ago

Personally I wouldn't do anything. If you mind your own business so will they.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Spiders build webs mostly to catch dinner and if business is good they will remain...if not...they move on to a better location.

• Microthrix
    10 years ago

TThe only thing I don't like about black widows is their webs. i don't normally mind spiders or webs, but black widow webs freak me out, due to the silk being so thick.

• bob61
    10 years ago

I don't know if you have Grandchildren but if so I would get rid of the spiders. I here rattle snakes eat rats but I don't want any of those around either.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

I know what you mean about the webs Microthrix.

When I'd find a web and couldn't see the owner,first thing I'd do was test the tensile strength of the web. Dead giveaway every time...once you know it,..you know it! :)

• pelargonium_gw
    10 years ago

I can understand why thick webs freak you out, Microthrix! If you walk in the norwegian woods and you hear a loud scream, it's probably me walking into a spiderweb. :D

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

That's funny Pelargonium! :)

Icadena,

After looking at your pic again it looks like the "mix" is a few inches lower from the rim and the spaces down in there are VERY inviting to widows because they need nooks and crannies to hide in. Can't help wondering if raising the level of the "mix" closer to the rim(and thus making the "shelter" less secure),wouldn't make it less appealing to future tenants.

Worth a shot,no?

Edit: When/If you do this,First take a hair from your head and set one end into the web,then twirl it between your fingers to simulate prey. Once you know where she is,you'll be less likely to put your hand in her way,thus avoiding potential accidents. Good luck! :)

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 19:21

• lcadena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, definitely worth a shot. Actually, the plant has busted out of its container but I do not want to plant it in the ground as I'd like to take it with me if I ever get a chance to buy my own place. I would like to get a big ceramic pot as I know it needs to be replanted but I have not wanted to shell out the money for one but I will within the next couple of months. As to the other comments, I don't like black widows and especially their webs because they are sticky and so strong. Many thanks!

• 100mphtortoise
    10 years ago

Few people know this but during ww 2 they used black widow silk on gun optics for cross hairs, and that the service men would get 100, 180 feet of silk a week from these spiders.

• lcadena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, thanks. That is really interesting.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    10 years ago

They need warm to hot summers to thrive. We don't have them in the bay area..but go out to Livermore,and they are in every empty barn and shed.
    I'm surprised they are out in the open and in sun for you. Some people have all the luck!
    btw, Just a hose washing should chase them away..