Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help to Identify

Posted by grantr none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 22:14

Picked this guy up at Lowe's tonight for 2 dollars, but am not sure what it is. Is it some sort of jade?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help to Identify

It is crassula tetragona. Is it in the nasty peat soil lowes uses?

o

Grant,

Zech's correct, it's Crassula tetragona, from the same genus as Crassula ovata (your jade).

Zech's also correct about the soil - it's needing repotting soon to take advantage of its first growth cycle (fall) in your family. Cut that soil with at least 50% perlite / pumice and that plant will be chugging along like a CN 60-car string passing through town.

o

Yeah, what they said plus... that's a bunch of plants, not one. You'll find that out when you re-pot.
These plants have fine, aggressive roots that will fill up a small pot quickly. A 6" pot is just right for one plant.

o

Thank you for the quick responses! I'm not sure what kind of soil it was in, besides the fact that it was overwatered, but I transplanted it immediately. I used some Miracle Grow Cactus Soil and some perlite. I knew i couldn't pass it up for $2, marked down from 42. I had to save it! They had quite a few other succulents marked down to next to nothing too, but I have too many as it is. Dreading finding a place for all of them theis winter inside, as I'm in Illinois. Hard to get a size perspective on it, but that's about a 14" pot on the tailgate of my F-150. It's a pretty big boy!

o

Here's the pic.

o

Grant, I hate to throw salt in your Cheerios but if you didn't wash all the old soil away, you haven't accomplished anything. The water will run right through your new soil, never touching the multi-root mass. For that reason, it's actually worse than before.
Your yellow pot is a big boy. All the plants in it are small.
Not trying to be rude. I know friendly advice, when critical, can come across the wrong way. Just trying to help :)
I'm not at home right now but when I get there I'll post a pic of one of mine.

o

Here ya go. I put the scissors in the pot for size.
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here