Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown spots on aloe

Posted by crabinmyshoemouth PA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 22:24

Hey all! I'm having a problem with my aloe plant. I'm unsure of the exact variety, but it has been called a tree aloe by several people. I bought it when it was about a foot tall 4 years ago, and it has grown to 3-4 feet, and has sprouted over 50 offshoots, some of which I left attached. It has started to get brown areas on the many of the leaves and it has crept up the plant and now the new leaves are almost affected! The brown areas are are not soft, it's kind of like a dark hardness that covers the leaf. I've never seen this on an aloe before. I love this plant. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown spots on aloe

Here's a close up.

o

Did you recently move it in front of the window? Looks like sunburn.

o

The plant only moved to this window last week, and it doesn't get any direct light here. In general, I have known sunburned plants to become softer, but this appears to be a little more firm. The darkness is only on the outside of the leaves, and the insides are not affected. Now that I think about where this plant has been (through 3 moves) and the amount of light it has received over the past two years, sunburn is totally possible.

We'll see how it goes in the new location.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here