Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jpaz_gw

Hydroponics Drain to Waste windowsill/patio cactus growing

jpaz
9 years ago

I have formalized my current cactus growing methodology on this web page. Please visit it - all feedback is appreciated.

jpaz

Comments (15)

• nil13
    9 years ago

Very nice. I grow many plants including cactus in a similar manner. I will have to track down that book.

You mention substituting Turface for pumice. Have you had success growing in just Turface? I would think that would be too moisture retentive. I have had success with strawberries in just Turface but other plants languished. I do however like to add Turface instead of organic matter to pumice to increase the available water.

• jpaz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you nil13. you wrote:

"Very nice. I grow many plants including cactus in a similar manner. I will have to track down that book.

You mention substituting Turface for pumice. Have you had success growing in just Turface? .........."

No I haven't - it was just a thought I had.

James.

• MsGreenFinger GW
    9 years ago

Very good. I am trying something similar with succulents in semi-hydroponics using expanded clay. I am quite new to this though :)

• jpaz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MsGreenFinger wrote:

:"Very good. I am trying something similar with succulents in semi-hydroponics using expanded clay. I am quite new to this though :)"

Excellent. Please report your ongoing experiences.

James

• jpaz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Previously nil13 wrote:

"You mention substituting Turface for pumice. Have you had success growing in just Turface? .........."

No I haven't - it was just a thought I had.

I have changed the Turface reference as follows:

"Similar inorganic products such as "Kitty Litter" or other expanded clay material may work just as well."

James

This post was edited by jpaz on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 3:59

• MsGreenFinger GW
    9 years ago

So far I have only good experiences with my plants. They adapted nicely to the soilless situation. One of my aloes is going to flower. Crassula does great, just like moonstones, bearpaw and a stapelia.
    For some of the plants being too small for plain clay, i added some perlite to the 'mix'. This wasn't the best idea and going to leave it out next time. They are all watered from the bottom. 1/4 strength nutrient solution with every watering.

• jpaz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Photos of cacti I have grown using my Hydroponics Drain to Waste methodology:

{{gwi:626993}}{{gwi:477561}}
    top: Coleocephalocereus aureus
    bottom: Discocactus horstii

{{gwi:626994}}
    {{gwi:626996}}
    top: Micranthocereus streckeri
    bottom: Arrojadoa dinae

{{gwi:626998}}
    {{gwi:472288}}
    top: Uebelmannia pectinifera
    bottom: Frailea castanea

{{gwi:627000}}
    {{gwi:627002}}
    top: Micranthocereus polyanthus
    bottom: Micranthocereus densiflorus

{{gwi:476568}}
    {{gwi:627005}}
    top: Uebelmannia buiningii
    bottom: Micranthocereus estevesii

James

This post was edited by jpaz on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 12:39

• jpaz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I want to thank those who have responded to my request for feedback - mostly via e-mail and Forum(s) postings. I received many excellent suggestions. I have incorporated some of them into this revised edition of my web page along with the addition of updated information and several more photos.

For those who would like to try, or experiment with, this methodology: what I describe is the way I have adapted it -- you would have to adapt it to suit your own environment and growing conditions.

James

This post was edited by jpaz on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 13:35

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

You have some VERY beautiful plants James!! :)

• jpaz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, LilBit7765.

James

• jpaz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A few more photos of cacti I have grown using my Hydroponics Drain to Waste methodology:

{{gwi:627007}}{{gwi:627009}}
    top: Coleocephalocereus aureus
    bottom: Micranthocereus densiflorus

{{gwi:627011}}
    {{gwi:627012}}
    top: Melocactus azureus
    bottom: Arrojadoa rhodantha

James

• jpaz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More photos of cacti I have grown using my Hydroponics Drain to Waste methodology:

{{gwi:627014}}{{gwi:627016}}
    top: Melocactus harlowii
    bottom: Discocactus subviridigriseus

{{gwi:627018}}
    {{gwi:627020}}
    top: Arrojadoa rhodantha
    bottom: Discocactus crystallophilus

{{gwi:627021}}
    {{gwi:627023}}
    top: Discocactus buenekeri
    bottom: Arrojadoa rhodantha

James

This post was edited by jpaz on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 16:25

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

All I can say is WOW!!!! I hope that I can do at least 1/2 as good as you! How long did it take to set up your system?

• jpaz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, LilBit7765.

Rather than me having to essentially re-type the information. you request, may I suggest you visit my web page -- it lists the material and equipment needed (actually very little) and describes the methodology in detail.

There is very little to set up and the procedure is quite simple -- it can certainly be accomplished in one day. You don't have to purchase the pH test kit or fertilizer I use -- feel free to use any similar products of your choice.

What I describe on my web page is the way I have adapted this methodology: -- you should, in turn, adapt it to suit your own environment and growing conditions.

I should mention that I have no formal training in botany or horticulture and that I base my growing techniques on experience, reading (well regarded and/or accepted in the C&S community) literature and interchange of ideas/information such as that available through personal association with other enthusiasts and discussion groups such as this one.

James

• jpaz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The basics:

{{gwi:627047}}
    Equipment and Materials: Potting container of
    prepared substrate - small plastic pots.
    Acidifier solution - Liquid fertilizer with
    micronutrients - pH testing solution with vial.
    For washing raw pumice: Garden hose power spray
    attachment - large fine kitchen sieve

This post was edited by jpaz on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 13:45

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations