Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Huernia ID?

Posted by paul_ z5 MI (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 13, 10 at 22:33

I received this Huernia in trade in what was supposed to be just Huernia zebrina cuttings. While the other cuttings were all indeed Huernia zebrina, this one obviously isn't. The flower, about the size of a nickel, is actually much darker than in the photos -- more of a maroon color.

Aug 2010

Aug 2010

Aug 2010

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Huernia ID?

I believe it is Huernia schneideriana.

o

Paul,

I agree with Rosemarie's ID. How does it smell?

o

Rosemarie how would you like to spend two weeks vacation at my house and put names on my plants, you are great. It would be easy I don't have cactus. Norma

o

Ha ha, sorry, Norma...but I have a list a MILE long of To Do's (although I could use a vacation)! As it is, I play hooky when I get on here! Squeezing out even a few minutes is rough. Have to get up at 2AM to play! Need my fix & feed my obsession!

o

Thanks folks!

The scent is very faint -- I was unable to detect any until I had the flower about a centimeter under my nose. Even then I'm having trouble categorizing the smell. Not sure if it strikes me as a bit more fecal or more of something rotting. Either way ... glad it isn't more pungent. LOL.

o

Hmmm, someone on another forum suggested it might be Huernia aspera which also looks similar to mine. Anyone know of an easy way to tell them apart? (I hope there aren't any other "look alike" candidates to muddy the issue but with my like there are. LOL)

o

it looks to be the same Huernia schneideriana maroon that I have,the color is lighter than mine, not much of a smell of any kind, it blooms all summer and will bloom year round if it get lots of light

Bear

o

While the flowers of H. aspera can look similar to H. schniederiana, the leaves of H. aspera have a much more smooth look to them... not near as pronounced bumps & spikes on it as on H. schneideriana (as shown in Bear's pic as well-NICE plant you have there!).

If you can join the stapeliads.info site, you can see many examples in their photo database (see link below).

(Which other forum?)

Here is a link that might be useful: Stapeliads

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here