Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
microthrix

Austrocylindroopuntia vestita

Microthrix
11 years ago

I have a medium sized Austrocylindroputia vestita (lets call him bob for short) who some days, stands straight up towards the sky, and other days, lays on the ground and seems to be taking a nap or something, and then the next day stands straight up again ... does anyone know why bob does this?

Comments (13)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

He's unhappy at being at 0' ASL? Remember, these are at home many thousands of meters up on Andes.

Have you looked at the roots?

• Microthrix
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well im not that close to sea level, but im sure im no where close to the altitude they are used to. He is im full sun, and recently we had a heat wave of about 110 (which i know it never gets that high in the mountains) and he never leaned this much before ... so is it heat? He is in the ground, so should i dig it up to check the roots?

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

It's too hot where you have it - it's a xeric plant, but it's not a desert one.

• Microthrix
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So i shall take him out of the ground. Hes going to have to be potted since the only ground area i have is full sun. Hopefully he does better.

• hijole
    11 years ago

Zeck, How's about a photo of Bob I'd like to see one either standing up Or laying down.

Not really even sure what one looks like but you seemed to have masterd him already , you didn't mention sit. Does he sit also?

Ok, ok... I'm a little tired so maybe a little dilerious, so good night too.

• Microthrix
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ohh Greg you joker :P I should teach bob sit though :P

Because it is night time, and its scary outside :P i will get a pic tomorrow.

I think bob will be laying down until the end of the week ( los angeles cactus show saturday! ) until the heat wave passes, or if i can get him out of the ground and to a cooler place.

• Microthrix
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok, after risking my life and going out into the heat, i got a pic of bob. he seems to be standing up now, but has one "pole" still laying down (you can see the tip in the back) . weird, anyway, here he is

{{gwi:627173}}
    im taking him out of the ground later, at around 6 so i dont burn to death

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I see that one sleeping on the job in the back. Dock his pay!

I have a crested one. It lived through the summer of hell but it did not grow much.

• Microthrix
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This one is crested to, but i let it revert, as i like the reverted, regular growth better. Did you ever get yours to bloom? I heard they were difficult to bloom, but mine bloomed about back in may

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Many plants have transpiration cycles. make note of the time of day that you notice it happening. maybe it is relation to the sun and heat. My opuntias "lay down" when we had a killer frost. They staid that way for a month or more and then they stood up, all 100 lbs of opuntia pads.

My vestia is in a small pot. It stays small and has not bloomed. Do you know what its hardiness rating is? i know that sometimes it is the cold that helps set some opuntias blooms.

• Microthrix
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Since it is an alpine cactus that grows up in the south american mountains (possibly with sulcorebutia) and the fact that it is covered with fuzz, im positive it can go into the negatives (celsius) mine survived being covered in snow.

I watched bob all day and all yesterday he layed down, and all today he stood up. And today was even hotter than yesterday.

I just took him out of the ground, just right now, and with being surrounded with other spiney opuntia and a trichocereus, and the fact that my sister riuned the gloves trimming her opuntia microdasys .... it was very troublesome and he lost some roots ... but he should be ok now ;) hes going in a fancy clay pot.

• hijole
    11 years ago

Micro, ok I'm jealous. Bob is a handsome plant although
    he sounds finicky. I don't have one of them, I'm reminded of some movie called, " What about Bob."

I thought I saw one sitting down, good job your quick.

Hey what about this for a New handle, "The Cactus Whisperer..."

Greg

• Microthrix
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yesterday i just propped up bob's "towers" with rocks, but for better support i needed to put in sticks and tie around with string ... this thing had glochids, but ones that were around an inch long .... now i remember why i called him tarantula plant ... lol

There was also giant random pieces of crest which where hard to support ... anyway he should be fine now that i have him in a nice cool place so he can grow in some roots and calm down after being dug out of the ground ...

Bobs not to finicky, i guess... he just needs a cooler enviornment. He survived some rough days of being owned by a 9 year old ... LOL :P i always enjoy nicknames :P especially the ones you give me :D

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner