Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Edithcolea grandis

I just got a Edithcolea grandis. How do people care for this? I am hearing that it is really prone to rot in the wintertime but I need to keep it form drying out in the summer. What kind of fast draining soils. work best??

Comments (12)

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

I have had 2 of these for about a month. And treat it as any other asclepiad own. Watering once a week it full sun. Although i have mine in pure pumice. I dont know the winter care, so lets see how that goes

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I heard lots of things. One was bright shade and the other was full sun. HMMM. one said no water in winter and don't let it dry out in summer. One person said water everyday if necessary, and then the next person says it rots in a hurry and to cut off limbs to root at the first sign of rot due to a penchant of run away rot.. A lot of somewhat conflicting info to make sense of.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I got one last year and have treated it the same as my stapelias, little water during the winter and well watered during the summer. It's alive but hasn't grown much and hasn't bloomed.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do you fertilize it with 1/4 deluted low nitrogen fertilizer? Is it in sun , Karyn?

• karyn1
    11 years ago

It's in full sun. I use a diluted low nitrogen fertilizer, somewhat inconsistantly, but my stapelias, huernias, orbeas, ceropegias and several other succulents get the same treatment and grow and bloom well. The Edithcolea grandis just doesn't seem to do much. I thought it might have rot below the soil but everything looks fine. I really don't know much about this plant and figured it was just a slow grower.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Karyn and Micro, this is going off topic a little. I have a huernia zebrina. Every spring I bring it out and it looks all right . Nights are above 40. I do not start watering it immediately because it starts to get real punky. It looses its roots and then looks all dried up. even if I water it treat it with fungecide. It then grows back from a few cuttings every year but it spends a lot of the time looking pretty poor until 3/4 of the way through the summer. This year was worse than ever. It used to get back on its feet half way through the summer. I do not have this problem with other stapeliads and I have another stapeliad in the same pot.

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

Id love to answer your question, but i have no experience with asclepiads over winter! I just got into them this year from about may to now. I will just have to see how things go this year. I know they love heat, so maybe keep it in a green house/ or where ever you over winter them a bit more.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I wait to move my asclepiads outside until the nights are in the 50's. Not sure why your zebrina does that. You'd think if there was some type of disease the other stapelia would be affected. I still think that I'd move it to it's own pot. Hopefully someone can provide an answer.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Mara,

It's too cold for them then - wait until it's in the 50s at night.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't heat anything to the 50's except the bedroom. It is out of luck.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Well, if you want it to grow well, you'd make a space for it - if it's going to be cold in winter, it will take all of its reserves to live and therefore won't be ready for spring like the other Ascleps. At least, that was my experience.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What is weird is that it comes through the winter well and it is when it is warm that it begins to suffer. I can not give it a better place. My spaces are un-heatable. I live in a 3000' wood shop with 16'ceilings. 40 , I can manage but 50 I can't.