Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noki_gw

Lithops?

noki
10 years ago

Bought these at Lowe's... most look like buttons, but not all the same species. Are these supposed to look like this? I've only seen pictures of Conophytum that looked like these buttons. Maybe they are dead? They had a lot of them, and they didn't seem to be in the middle of actively splitting.

This post was edited by noki on Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 23:53

Comments (11)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Those are lithops. Many times Conos have a papery sheath around them - lithops don't.

• cagedbirdsinging
    10 years ago

Yes, these are Lithops! Looks like mostly
    Lithops aucampiae here, but I am not a Lithops ID expert because they can be so difficult to ID properly.

They appear very healthy right now and should be in a dormancy period. Go ahead and re-pot them as you'd like, but be very careful as most Lithops you'll buy from big box stores are over-watered and prone to rupture.

Strip them down to bare roots and examine them carefully for any mealy bugs hiding in the root system. Let the plants dry out for a day or two before you pot them up and do not water! They should begin to regenerate soon and you should not need to water for quite some time.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Are they from Altmans, Noki? I just saw some at Home Depot yesterday (& almost bought them) that look just like that (4 in a pot, all slightly diff from each other, similar coloring). No name, don't you know?!?

Lithops aucampiae seems as likely an ID as any. Some Lithops lesliei look similar. Too bad Ian N. isn't frequenting this forum any more. He's more familiar with them than most.

They did NOT become cart jumpers, as they recognized me as a Lithops Killer! LOL

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Hello, just want to jump in here and add some info. I agree they look mostly like L. aucampiae, except the top left which may be a form of L. hookeri - like C336, or maybe a psuedotruncatella - like C245.

Also, Lithops are beginning to bloom which means they are beginning to come out of their "dormancy". L. aucampiae comes from a high rainfall area and would be happy with a drink as long as they're out in the sun. When the plants are swelling, blooming or splitting, they're in active growth. That's also the time to water or transplant. The trick is to give them enough light, heat and airflow that the water evaporates, is transpired and the plant can happily work on absorbing its leaves in the interim. Late Summer is a great time for success in that respect. If you're ever going to have the chance for a good watering, it's around this time of year. I live on the coast so for me, the rest of the year is a bit cooler and considerably more damp. Even though I know my Lithops will be growing in November, I'll be backing off to a light misting by then. Meanwhile, in New Mexico, Lithops will still be growing, getting watered, not having much trouble drying out or absorbing leaves. In New Mexico, they will have also experienced a true dormancy period because of the heat. Here, I barely notice. I just assume that during the summer equinox, they'll be taking a light nap. The only signal I get is that the juvenile plants will be growing vigorously and then suddenly stop - it takes a few days to notice. Blooms start in late July so you can pretty much count on them all officially waking up by mid-August.

Transplanting - Don't do it right before or during dormancy. Transplanting of any plant is best done as it is entering its growth cycle, so it can properly acclimate. You wouldn't hassle a bear during hibernation, would you? About letting the plants dry out in between... I used to think it was smart but I've changed my mind. Many soft-rooted plants such as Mesembs will suffer continued root damage when left out of soil. As long as the soil is dry and you don't water for a day or two(depending on root thickness and amount of damage) the roots are better protected back in the soil. I don't wait more than a few hours, sometimes not at all.

If those were mine, I would give them a soak before transplanting. They'll get a good charge from it and the roots will suffer less damage since they're probably locked into that peaty soil. The water can have a light fertilizer and a B-vitamin solution like Superthrive. Soak for a few hours then gently separate with the hose. Don't be afraid to remove the fine hairlike roots. You can pot them up soon after they're dry. This isn't to say that they can't survive more time outside of soil, I just don't think anything is gained from it.

One more thing... soil.
    {{gwi:606775}}
    Potting soil - sifted, bark removed - 35%?
    All-Purpose Sand - not play or beach sand - 20-25%
    Vermiculite - fine - small amount, less than 10%
    Perlite - 25-30%
    Pumice - 15-20%

• qsis
    10 years ago

What an excellent post, hanzrobo!

(I'm sorry, I don't remember everyone's real names!)

Lee

• noki
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes, they are Altmans. Found some different species yesterday.

I like the spotted ones, especially the lower right one in the left pot. And the right pot has some brains, which I always think are cool.

• noki
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I opened up one of my sets... this is what I got. Do these have a chance? not much of any fine roots left. The pink brain one seems to have a long body, short root.

• senjanevada
    10 years ago

I've just started again collecting lithops. Leaning new things everyday. I guess, stick 'em on the cactus soil and no water for few days.

• cagedbirdsinging
    10 years ago

Those look nice and healthy, noki! Not over-watered and nice absorption from the last regeneration! Those blemishes are just cosmetic and will go away with the next growth period.

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Again, I recommend plumping them up (soaking) for a day before you separate them, especially from those peaty Altman's pots. They would have become recharged, ready for the challenge of growing new roots. Also, big chunks of the taproot can break off when attempting a dry removal from peaty soil.

Lee, thank you. I'm Ryan but hanzrobo is just as good. I only know about 10 names.

Ro, we must have been writing at the same time - double post! I would've at least said hi, you know:)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Oh, Hi to you, too, Ryan! Excellent info given. I could not top that! Didn't think you were frequenting the forums ~while being busy~ so mentioned Ian instead of you. I should know YOU are more likely to answer!! =)

Great you got some more, Noki!