Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusboss

Is my Thanksgiving Cactus gonna suffer?

CactusBoss
10 years ago

Okay, I bought a pot from Walmart that I thought would have good drainage because it had a hole in the bottom and had clay in the interior of the pot. when I watered my TC today I noticed that only a few drops came out of the drainage holes. I'm now paranoid that i may just end up finding a rotting TC cactus in the morning.

PS. The soil I use isn't the problem.

Comments (20)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

This is an epiphytic jungle plant, not a desert dweller, if that's what you are thinking? Don't let the 'cactus' moniker fool you. If your plant dries too much, it will not be happy.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

CactusBoss,
    If you are concerned, is it possible to repot it in a different pot?

I actually have the same problem with my TC. I water it and it says moist for a long time (I think the last time I watered it was 3 weeks ago). Mine is probably the soil though, as I was unable to remove ANY of it when I repotted it last year (It was so full of roots) I repotted it in some good soil though, and it's since bloomed for me (bloomed last month in fact).

I have had no issues with rot, but I don't want to compare my TC to yours, as I'd be very sad if something happened to yours because mine seems to be thriving in conditions that are... possibly not the best.

Planto

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

I have switched to using Orchid bark now for mine. I water once a week. So far it works PERFECT. No way it can get over watered now.

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm thinking about changing the mix to 50% AV mix, 25% perlite, and 25% bark. Or should I do 50% AV mix, 50% bark?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

It all sounds good. These are arborial plants so think what would collect in a tree up high and decompose and make soil. Oner does not find clay in a tree.. LOL One does get a fast draining mix that got rain almost every day.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 9:48

• nat_lia
    10 years ago

CactusBoss, I grow my Thanksgiving- Easter cactus in the mix you mentioned above but in different portion; 3:2:1 orchid bark, perlite and AV soil. They are indoor, about 6 inches from our east window. I use plastic pots and some are in ceramics (all with drainage holes of course :) Watering would be different for each pot, it depends on the pot sizes. The smallest pot I have is about 4" and I water it every 10-12 days in summer ('till the water runs through). They love humidity, especially the Easter cactus......so I mist them a lot :) One of my Easter cactus is flowering now.

If you think your Thanksgiving cactus is going to suffer, you can change the pot and the soil. Mine are all happy in the soil mix above but I'm planning to grow mine in 100% orchid bark next time :)

Natalia

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Instead i took a standard potting mix and added a lot of perlite. i think it should do fine I just hope there's enough soil cause I don't know how much nutrition perlite provides. Here's the mix.

This post was edited by CactusBoss on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 20:03

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i think I just need to add some bark now.

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Btw the potting soil I'm using is Miracle Grow Moisture control but I added A LOT of perlite to improve drainage cause I heard this soil is horrible straight up but it's either this or a cactus mix with lots of perlite. which would be better?

This post was edited by CactusBoss on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 23:34

• sradleye
    10 years ago

isn't the moisture control designed to retain more water? the mg plug on their website is

"Exclusive Aquacoirî formula absorbs 33% more water than ordinary potting soil"

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

It's designed to hold on to water. I don't like it personally.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Holding on to water can cause rot in succulents. Succulent 101.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

I know, based on second-hand testimony, that a galactically-known grower of Mesembs, and at least one of his ardent disciples, uses MG moisture control, and they grow some of the finest plants we've seen EVER. It's what you do with it that's the heart of the matter.

Once again, making statements saying 'xxxx is bad for your plants' or 'yyyy in your soil is the worst thing you can use' is generalizing. Your external cultural conditions, and I include watering here, will shape what soil one can use to grow healthy plants. One's level of experience, along with available materials, will largely shape what one can grow well.

I too have been guilty of saying 'Peat's bad' or asking 'Why in the world would you use bark chips?', but it's all in the conditions and experience of the individual grower, to boil it down. Since CB is a beginner, I would suggest to him (?) that he keep his soil simple. The more experience one gains, the more one can evaluate effectively what one can and cannot use in the culture of healthy plants.

Yes, you can say a few things are irrefutable - succulents for the most part don't grow in salt, never watering a cactus is not prudent and you really don't need a seventh Kalanchoe orgyalis (the last statement is completely false, btw). But since you can use shredded tires to grow plants in (that's not recommended, but it can be done), to say that MG soil (or whatever) is inimicable to growing plants is highly dependent on the situation and all of those other intangibles which we hopefully learn about as we grow these plants of ours.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I think that we all tread the line of recreating environment and creating an environment in our environment that works and with easily available materials. Drainage is important in a rain forest or one ends up with feet in a puddle.. Does a plant need frequent water with drying in between? I think that it is the cycle that is important mimic, and the humous component since those are the building blocks of their world up their. Bark is good and it is available most places in this world..

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just though adding a lot of perlite would help drainage.

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

Adding a lot of perlite does help drainage. But in my experience, the holiday cacti just do really adore a bark-based mix with a little regular potting soil mixed in.

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm gonna start with this, see how it does and then maybe add bark later.

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so I tested the drainage using the same soil in a pot of the same type but a smaller size and it drained like a waterfall so I think it's good to go.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

cb.

As you mature in cactus growin' until you're growing Whiteslonea crassa from seed (crested plants, too!) your soil mix will mature. There ain't no use hurrying it, but you can learn a lot from the people here while it's being processed for the next 80 years or so - you've got a big head start on me, that's for sure..

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

cactusmcharris
    - i came over your post accidentally, while looking for holiday cactus repots. and wanted to say thank you for saying what you said about 'usability of MG soil.
    i just so totally agree with your post - it's like a breath of fresh air in a desert. i am SO tired of generalizing on these forums on soil subject. this is all bad, this all good, bla-bla. do this, don't ever do that...i've been growing plants for decades in commercial soils without ill effect and it certainly can be done. incorrect watering can be done with peat AND with bark too ;). and it all depends on so many factors.
    and yes, my xgiving cactus been living in commercial cactus mix for at least past 7 years, though i wrapped it in coir matting on perimeter AND added water-wick for self-watering for the past 4 years. don't think anybody has it on a water-wick! i think i'm first! though i do let it dry-up completely from time to time. and periodically do over-head/dry-up.