Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilbit7777

ROT!!!! What did I do wrong?!

LilBit7765
9 years ago

Ok so I got a couple pots FULL of aloes. And stupid me didn't repot right away but I didn't water at all. I was afraid to because I know that they can handle being dry, anyway I noticed one pot everything one of them was rotting so I tossed took apart the other pot and potted everything up in the gritty mix. Roots looked ok. While I was repotting three pups came off the mom so I potted them together in gritty mix in a small pot this was a week and 1/2 ago. Tonight looking them over the three pups had started rotting in the middle (where the leaves meet at the bottom) there was liquid there. Which I don't believe I got water on top of them because I'm SOOO CAREFUL. I didn't see ANY SIGNS of ANY bugs. The soil they came out of was VERY damp in the middle. I actually couldn't believe how damp it was. Considering they were out in the sun, NEVER got rained on, and I NEVER watered. I thought maybe my boyfriends son could've watered them but he said no he didn't (plus he knows not to touch my plants :) ) they were watered twice in the gritty mix. Are aloes different somehow? Even in gritty mix? Am I supposed to let it stay dry for a few days b4 I water again? I would think if it was from the original soil they would've rotted sooner. I'm really beating myself up about this :( I don't know what I did besides waiting to repot so long. But like I said......my experience with rot is it usually happens pretty fast and they would've had slimy roots or SOMETHING showing when I repotted right? Sorry this is SOOOO long, just wanted to give enough detail so maybe you guys could help me better. Oh when pulling out the aloes the roots were a little slimy tonight they were kind of collapsed??? Another question I saved what leaves I could to try and propagate but I've never done this with an aloe. How long do I let them set out? Is it better to root on top of soil or put the tip in the soil? Thanks SO MUCH!!

Comments (5)

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

"The soil they came out of was VERY damp in the middle. I actually couldn't believe how damp it was."
    There is a bit of contradiction in your details - "I never watered" and "they were watered twice" .
    The gritty mix should drain pretty fast when watered, should see water pour out the bottom almost immediately. Makes me think the mix is not open enough because it's staying damp. Unless it's mostly in shade and there is no air circulation, it was not allowed to dry out between waterings. Doesn't matter if it takes more than 2 days or a week to dry out. The mix should be almost dry before watering again.

I'm thinking the rot started in the damp mix. The pups may have had wounds when repotted and the damp set up a bacterial stage. Pups may not have had any roots or enough of them to soak up any of the dampness around them.

Aloes are pretty tough. I have a mass of them blowing around the yard for over 3 years without a pot and still going strong. I don't waiting to repot is the issue, it's the juggling of mx, watering and enough root growth. Just adjust your watering to when it drys out rather than a schedule. Some folks use a wooden chopstick to check dampness a few inches under the mix line.

You can cut back to non-rot and try and root that. Let the end callous, then set on top of mix. Mist once a day and see if rootlets form. I've had other types of succulents (leaves, stems) root out sitting on a tray for a month.

Hope some of this helps.

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry it was late last night when I posted. I watered twice AFTER they were repotted in the gritty mix, NEVER watering them in the original pot from the store. When I pulled them out of the original pot THAT soil was unbelievable damp. I didn't water in the gritty until it was dry (using a dowel I guess I should've posted that b4 sorry) my mix usually needs watering every 4 to 5 days not on a schedule but I will say that's when just about everything I have needs watering except for two regular house plants that seem to really suck up the water which is 2 to 3 days. I appreciate your help.....am I wrong In thinking that for usually happens very quickly? I am embarrassed to say how long I waited to repot but unfortunately life happens and I have had only 3 days off this past month and I had gotten a three day weekend two weeks ago so working all the other days straight. Not trying to make excuses but literally I would've thought any problems would've come out before hand. :( wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong. Anyway the mom plant looks to be doing fine along with one larger pup with her. The three pups that didn't make it ð¼ two had decent root systems one had a start of root from where he broke off from mom. Actually he looked the best out of the three. So (sigh) hopefully I don't kill the last two. Any other tips?

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Guess I should be embarrassed, too. I didn't repot my bigger aloe vera plant for 3 years.....that was also just laying on its side without a pot. :) It survived and even flowered like that, a testament to their toughness.
    I would say, without seeing your set-up or plants, to let them dry out checking mix with your dowel and acclimate them to a sunny spot to reduce dampness and encourage growth. Most of a plants' recovery is just patience. :]

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I just found out what I did wrong!! Apparently not checking well enough for bugs!! It is kind of hard to look in between the aloe leaves if they've been grown in good light which that one had. They were right on top of each other with no space Inbetween. Atleast they were seperated. I don't understand how I didn't see them before. I pulled on a leaf and it pulled right off. So I was like uh oh. And pulled the plant off it looked like white fluffy mold on the roots. So I figure it's gotta be them. They suck!!!