Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bodyboss

How to save my Sulcorebutia

BodyBoss
11 years ago

Today I found a rotten place in my grafted Sulcorebutia...how can I save it ...i heard something about lime powder but I don't know how to use it nor where to get it !!!

recently many of my cacti have rotten I don't know why but I lost my Gymnocalycium mihanovichii and Sempervivum because of rottenness....but I still wondering how did the rot affect my Sulcorebutia without it being touch soil surface and why does it grow vertically more than usual ?

thanks to everyone ...

http://i.imgur.com/58A5S.jpg

Comments (7)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

BB

I am not sure about lime powder, maybe you are thinking about dusting with cinnamon?

What kind of soil are your cacti potted in?
    Are they inside or outside?

Rina

• johnsonm08
    11 years ago

Cinnamon for the rot, and I would separate a few pups and plant them so you can still have a specimen if the rot continues...
    Mike

• BodyBoss
    Original Author
    11 years ago

the soil contains a mixture of sand and topsoil
    the cactus is outside the window (the window is southeastern)
    so you tell to dust the rot with cinnamon without doing any cut ?
    thanks Rina thanks Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hi Bodyboss.

That plant has too many places for water to just sit because of all the tight crevices. If water even touches that plant, it will settle and take its while to dry out.

Did it ever get watered while the water ran down the sides of that plant, settling near the base? If so, I can see why it would rot if there is no air circulation or very hot consistent temps to dry that water out within a 'brief' time.

With a plant like that, I would only let water touch the top if I lived in a very hot climate like Arizona, Had it in full all day hot sun, or had some sort of breeze hitting it drying out the moisture quickly.

Sorry about that... It stinks. The same thing happned to one of mine.

Mike

• BodyBoss
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks Mike very much
    I dusted it with cinnamon even when I touched the black area I found it hard not soft so I think I just discovered the rot after it has been cured, Friday I'll go to greengrocer to buy some stem cacti to make grafts with the pups as you advised .

• BodyBoss
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks Mike very much
    I dusted it with cinnamon even when I touched the black area I found it hard not soft so I think I just discovered the rot after it has been cured, Friday I'll go to greengrocer to buy some stem cacti to make grafts with the pups as you advised .

• johnsonm08
    11 years ago

"the soil contains a mixture of sand and topsoil"
    Read some past posts about the gritty mix the above could be the cause of your problems.....
    Mike