o
Playing with my camera again

Posted by wantonamara 8bTx (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 0:44

My Astrophytum ornatum bloomed AGAIN and I just had to get my camera out
DSC_0031

DSC_0030

Astrophytum ornatum
Do you see the Agave ovatifollia in the background?
Astrophytum ornatum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Playing with my camera again

Absolutely beautiful :)

o

• Posted by bob61 8a Shrev. La. (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 6:36

Your plants are always beautiful and this one is no exception. The black and white is framable. I have a ornatum That I'v had for years and it will not bloom. Can't figure it out. I'v read that they take the longest to come into blooming age but this is a puzzle. Maybe more sun and fertilizer.

o

Thank You. This shot screamed for the Black and white transformation. I don't do that usually. It is so easy these days with digital that it feels like cheating. I am an old Black and White photographer and lab printer back in the day so the ease just feels sinful. I guess I need to get over it.

The first day of the bloom they are very Yellow and the second it goes more yellow silver. If it is more in the sun it gets hints of pale salmon in the silver. I have it more in the shade now with morning sun. It got new sun scars this year due to my inattention when we soured early to 108 and it was still out in the all day sun area while I was out driving around working.

I have had two small ones bloom this year. I fertilized with More Bloom an alaskan product that is no Nitrogen . I use it once a week at 1/4 dilution. I think this large one has bloomed 4 or 5 times this summer.

o

• Posted by bob61 8a Shrev. La. (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 21:23

I'll have to look for More Bloom. I'v just started this year with Miracle grow cactus food every two weeks but I think I'v been missing a few plants. I haven't dabbled in the black and white thing sense I was in the Navy and used the dark room aboard ship. It was always fun seeing the pictures appear on the paper.

o

Simply beautiful!

o

I need to run out for more low nitrogen fertilizer today myself. I ran out last Sunday. Thanks for reminding me.

o

Lovely, lovely, lovely. Stunning in black and white as well as the color.

Thanks for sharing!

I didn't get many flowers from my Echinopsis hybrids until I started using a bloom fertilizer. It's the extra ooomph they need I guess.

o

Beautiful plants and wonderful pictures! It's like art squared!

o

Mara, you point and click right up there with the best of 'em.

o

Perfect photographs of beautiful astros
thanks for sharing

o

GEEE, Thanks guys and gals. Sometimes I think that I take pictures of the same plants over and over , year after year, so I run the danger of boring you. I do try to look at them in different ways.

I have found that fertilizer has made a difference in performance. When I pot up next I am going to start puting in some bone meal into the gritty mix.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here