Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
max_202

Possible scale infestation?

max.202
10 years ago

Hi all,

I'm hoping that someone can help me definitively determine what is killing my cactus. Based on images on this site and on the internet, it looks like scales, but I want to make sure. Whatever it is, it's spreading to my other plants, and every plant that has these whitish bumps is starting to wither. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Max

Comments (7)

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

Ah, shoot. Yeah, I'd say that's scale all right. I'd start searching around about various insecticide options and pick one, and hurry. As you've seen, that stuff spreads like wildfire.

• norma_2006
    10 years ago

That looks more like mealies to me, take a cotton swap, and did in diluted Alcohol, whisky, Mr clean, mouth wash, and touch, it should be gone immediately, if that works, put is in spay bottle, and spray top and bottom of leafs. A faster way is Bayer Rose food 2 in 1 if you have a large amount to do with a . Don't go over board with the amount on one plant, I can't tell you how much to use. depends on soil, and size of pot. On leaves I use
    Safer Insecticidal Soap, which safer for you to use, If I am right about what I think it is. Get rid of ants. They spread it. If you have plant in a green house buy lady bug release them at night. Now all of you know why I can't give a straight response. LOL for real. yours looks like they are on hormones. Remove sick plants away from the healthy ones until you start controls, I would spray all of them down. Take them out side to do this. It's after midnight so will not proof my poor typing. Norma

• max.202
    Original Author
    10 years ago

teatree and norma,

Thanks for your help. I ended up scraping them off where I could and spraying insecticidal soap where I couldn't. I think it's helping a little; time will tell if it's enough.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Max, that is definitely not mealy, with all due respect Norma. Mealy typically, will lurk in the leaf axial and will have that tell tail cotton mass. It looks very much like scale. Do a google search for insecticides that specifically target scale. Keep in mind, that even though the scale may be dead, the "scale" will stay on the plant until you wash it away. I have used diazinon (Talstar) but you can't buy it in stores anymore because it is an organophosphate which has been discontinued for use by us common folk! Isolate this and any others to protect the remainder of your collection.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Formula 409 or Windex are in many peoples' households. Spray the plant in the shade with them, wait 10 minutes, the blast with a hose - they'll be gone. Leave the plant out of direct sun for a day and you'll be done treating it.

Definitely scale.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 18:08

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

BIG thanks, Jeff. Had no idea those items would do the trick. Significantly better than my use of diazinon.

Howard

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Cool! And here I am buying Neem oil to get rid of scales.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions