Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilbit7777

What's going on?!

LilBit7765
9 years ago

This is or WAS a crocodile aloe plant. This is a different type than my other aloe that rotted. Her pups are FAR MORE ROTTED. Why is this happening this one I know doesn't have bugs. What am I doing wrong? She was only watered once in the gritty. I'm going to try and save the rest of her but I'm really beside myself on this. I'd like any input on people using a gritty mix on what they think I might've done wrong. Thanks

Comments (20)

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the roots. She has plenty or had cuz now I'm gonna have to cut her up!!!! ð¡

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm SOO UPSET I FORGOT TO POST THE PIC!!! Now of course they're not looking the best

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Can they be propagated from leave cuttings just like other succulents? How long should I let them callus for?

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok I've been thinking. I did NOT let this plant set out after washing the regular soil off to put in the gritty. I thought if you were using the gritty mix you didn't have to let the roots callus. Is that where I went wrong?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

It looks like it has rotted in the centre, did it? Maybe there was too much water sitting in there.
    Not sure if you can propagate from leaves, I believe aloes propagate from pups. Maybe root cuttings? - not sure.

Some aloes pup like crazy, see this one - bought in June 2013 it had 2 tiny pups, I already had to divide & has abt. 17 pups now. Even one of the pups has pups already.

Rina

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Actually you can propergate from a leaf, it's just time comsuming and most commonly unsucsessful

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have like 5 or 6 that were salvageable. I only watered the mix. But maybe I did get water on the plant when washing the roots. But if that's the case how do they survive in the rain? Ugh I'm thinking maybe IM NOT GOOD FOR ALOES! If I were to EVER get another aloe again........how long should I let the plant set out before putting in a gritty mix? I've heard people say you need to let the roots callus but again I didn't think you had to do that putting in the gritty. How do you tell the roots have callused? I know how a cutting looks callused but not roots. Thanks for everyone's input!

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

How much sun do they get?

dj

• _sbgibbons_
    9 years ago

I don't think you have to let roots callus before planting in a gritty mix. If you do, I've potted about 25 plants incorrectly.. ð¯

• MsGreenFinger GW
    9 years ago

rina,
    what type of aloe is that? I have the same, but don't know the name.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

MsG.F.

It was suggested that it is Aloe rauhii (perhaps A.rauhii 'Snowflake' or 'White Fox').
    Do you have lots of pups? Does it bloom for you?

read here

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 21:05

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It got a few hours of morning sun then was in bright shade. I read that they couldn't take direct sun ALL DAY. Maybe that was another area I messed up at?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

When and why did you re-pot the plant?
    Seems perhaps it was rotting before you re-potted it.

Josh

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wanted to get it in the gritty mix. The first aloe was around 21/2 weeks ago. And the crocodile plant aloe?? Was a week and almost 1/2 now that one was only watered once. But I've been thinking. (That's ALL I've been doing) I rinsed my mix (to wash fine particles and soaked the bark) I them put it in a plastic tub. With the lid. I only have a little bit of the mix left. It is pretty moist STILL. Maybe that did it? I'm thinking I should take the lid off? Do you keep a lid on yours Josh? Do I need to throw it away? I made this batch a few weeks ago and it's STILL damp. The lid on is holding all the moisture in. I don't see any mold though. What do ya think? Thanks :)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

In my location (5a, Ontario, Canada), I keep all of them in full sun. It is not whole day, but they get probably at least 5 hrs of direct sun. They change color somewhat, but they do not burn or turn to mush.
    I posted this photo before - these offsprings are all in same location, some turn more red than others. Separated from mom plant year ago in Aug; it is probably A. grandidentata, possibly maculate (not sure...)

Rina

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I agree with Josh, the plants may have already been starting to rot before you repotted them. Didn't you say the soil was pretty wet when you purchased it?

My aloes stay outside in full sun all year long. I have most of them PIG. Yesterday it rained 3 inches in an hour. As long as they drain, they can handle the sun and rain.

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The aloe was VERY damp the crocodile plant wasn't. I have to repot an avacado agave it's still in what it came with but now I'm worried ill rot it. Anyone have one of these in a gritty mix?

• paul_
    9 years ago

Unlikely a fault with the gritty mix. (And yes, if you dampened it then sealed it in a container, it will stay damp.) You may very well -- as others have said -- had picked up plants that already had a fungal/bacterial issue underway.

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the help but I'm not sure about the crocodile plant. He was dry. I've had him for three months I hadn't got around to put him in the gritty yet. But he was In Cactus soil and 1/2 perlite (I know it's not the best mix but I hadn't known about the gritty mix yet. I watered him sparingly. I do think I got him wet above the roots when I washed the soil away. But how do they NOT get rot when they're rained on? I did repot at night. Maybe that helped contribute because he didn't have the sun to dry him off right away and I had put him shade to "recover" for a few days??

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    9 years ago

Do you have a photo of your gritty mix?
    This shouldn't happen in a properly made mix. In fact, it's why you take it out of potting soil and put it into the mix.

I'd be curious to see what your mix looks like.