Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dearambellina_gw

Fake flowers on cactus?!

DearAmbellina
10 years ago

Can anyone explain to me why on this green earth that the two different cactus's I bought from Lowe's and Walmart have the same ugly fake flower SUPER glued on them????

Comments (11)

• DearAmbellina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This cactus in the pictures is a Chamaelobivia hybrid. This is the one cactus that I left it on since I had taken the fake flower of the other which is a Mammilaria Red Cap Cristata.

• pumpkineater2
    10 years ago

I really hate Wal Mart. Painting succulents and now this!?
    Whoever came up with that idea had a brain the size of walnut.

• pumpkineater2
    10 years ago

I really hate Wal Mart. Painting succulents and now this!?
    Whoever came up with that idea had a brain the size of walnut.

• pelargonium_gw
    10 years ago

I have seen painted succulents at a shop around here (Norway). Really ugly, who wants to buy those things?

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Ambelina,

The flower is, as you know, fake (and the real one wouldn't look like that anyway). I'd demand my money back, telling them this is false advertising (I remember looking on similar plants for disclaimer information, but there was none). You got a relatively mild fraud - there are much worse other cactus and flower combinations. These are known as glufers and are to be shunned in all social situations. Going so far as to sweep them off the shelves with an appropriately sized 2x4 in one glorious act of standing up to The Man is not against the law in some states. If you're as attached to the cactus as the flower is glued to the plant, gently pry the flower off with some needle-nosed pliers . It will leave a scar which the plant will eventually grow out of.

pumpkin,

The monstrosity known as straw flowers (which itself is an actual part of a plant, I believe) has long been around and been abhorred. The painting is a more recent crime against cactus.

Pelargonium,

Even in Norway? We knew it was bad here in North America, with rows of Echeverias painted a metallic blue, but I thought you folks in the EU had laws against such bad taste?

• DearAmbellina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, I also did see one painted succulent at Walmart. It was bright pink and at first had no idea what was up with it until I realized it was indeed painted. It is sad. I'm new to having different houseplants like cactus so I had no idea when I was selecting them until I got home and inspected and saw the glue. :(

And I am attracted to this cactus. I love it! So I took off the horrible flower thing just as I did with the other cactus!

This post was edited by DearAmbellina on Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 12:38

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

This never gets less disturbing. These big sellers can crappify their mass-produced product all they like; I barely glance at their racks anymore.

Jeff, love the visual. I can see you with the 2x4 now. My hero.

This post was edited by hanzrobo on Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 13:27

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

Wow! I thought this was a joke at first... I guess I've seen everything now...

• Canron
    10 years ago

Both Home Depot and Wal Mart told me the same thing. They bring these in because that's what sells to the general public because the public doesn't know any better.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Not again! What will the walnut brained people think of next? I dread to think. Crappify, eh?

• paul_
    10 years ago

"Why?"

For the simple reason stated above -- they sell. It is the same motivating factor behind that offense to good taste and sensibilities perpetrated against the Family Orchidaceae ... namely the injection of dye into defenseless orchids resulting in some truly abhorrent colors.