Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tasmith16

Euphorbia milii green flowers?

tasmith16
9 years ago

I bought a Euphorbia milii or COT about a year and a half ago from a Buddhist Temple in Tampa. (They have a market every Sunday with Thai food and various plants) She used to have white flowers that were in constant bloom. I re-potted her a few months ago, about the end of June, because she was two big for the container she was in. (I still had her in the cheap flimsy plastic container she came in) She has a lot of healthy growth since and is even branching off in three places year the top. Prior, it was just 1 stem with the leaves and flowers near the top. Well now the flowers are not white, they're green... about the same color as the newly grown leaves. and only 1 bract with 5-6 flowers as opposed to 3-4 bracts with 5-6 flowers like she used to give. Does she have a problem or does this happen sometimes?

The only thing I've changed is the container. The location she is in is the same. She gets about 2-3 hours of morning sun, then shaded sun for about 7-8 hours. I water her the same. I wait until the top 2-2.5 inches of soil is dry and water close to the stem. She is in an un-glazed terracotta pot with very good drainage. The soil I used is a cactus blend that has peat moss, sand, and perlite. I also used some gavel at the bottom for extra drainage.

Can someone let me know what I need to do to restore her or if this is natural?

Comments (4)

• turtlewalker34205
    9 years ago

They will do that some times.

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

As far as i know they do that sometimes.I bought one several years ago because it was yellow,and i wanted that color,don't remember if it was 1 or 2 years later that the blooms turned to a pinkish red,now sometimes it will have all 3 colors on it,but it's healthy and growing well,so that's ok with me.
    Kathi

• tasmith16
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the information. I searched all over the web and couldn't find anything.

I'm glad my CoT isn't sick or anything like that.

• colombian14
    8 years ago

tasmith16,

your photo is difficult to see. Are the white spots insects or mold? I'm thinking that your plant needs more sun at least 5hrs with afternoon shade. From what I can see it looks overgrown too. This should give you more insight about COT and pruning. http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1916442/how-to-prune-or-cut-back-crown-of-thorns?n=17

Here is another example http://www.gardenguides.com/99754-prune-crown-thorns.html

I hope these suggestions help. Please keep us posted on how they are doing.

Thank you.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!