Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
_sbgibbons_

Rooting succulents in water?

_sbgibbons_
9 years ago

So, I was looking at a few different pages on instagram and I saw some people were having amazing success rooting succulent cuttings in water. You are supposed to use a beer, bottle or water bottle or something with a small opening, fill it with water just enough to where it barely touches the end of the cutting and let it sit for a couple of weeks. She said the water will evaporate and you should add more water as this happens.

Have any of you tried this? How were your results? I thought this was a no no, but my roots never come in that thick when I "dry root" them, so I'm interested in trying this. What do y'all think? - Sam :)
{{gwi:633060}}{{gwi:633061}}

Comments (17)

• emee
    9 years ago

I have read that also. Would it work for a leaf cutting? The plants in the picture already look bigger than what I buy that are supposed to have roots. I'm a newbie so I have no advice but I say try it.

• _sbgibbons_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I imagine it would help the rooting process in a leaf cutting, but I'm not sure if it would help to actually propagate the leaf cutting. I'll probably continue to leaf propagation the slower way because it's always worked for me, but I am definitely going to try this with a cutting or two because I've never had roots that look like that come in!

• Janewt
    9 years ago

I've done that with jade plants, but jade plants will put up with anything.

• Janewt
    9 years ago

(Sorry about the double-post--computer was acting up.)

This post was edited by Janewt on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 8:13

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Yes, it seems almost cruel to do to a plant that typically is somewhat water intolerant (of too much of it)...I wouldn't if I really wanted the plant to thrive.

It's like...I know you have a water allergy, but I'm going to put you on top of a bottle full of the stuff...you better like it, or else!
    Lol

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

Some people have luck with this technique.
    For me I always end up with mush.
    Now, I just leave a piece of stem or leaf on
    top of the soil. A short time later I have a
    cute little version of the parent plant.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Karen

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

I too have tried this with a jade plant because I heard it coul be done. But it turned to mush. Keep us updated and GOOD LUCK!!! :)

• Misselle
    9 years ago

I have an echiveria that I have has sitting on soil for almost a month with still no roots, so I might trying this method. I tyhink It's going to die soon anyway, so why not lol.

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Huh! Worth a try.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    9 years ago

When doing this, I don't think you're ever supposed to have the cutting (or roots) touch the water itself. Just always fill the water to the point where it's almost touching and not actually touching either root or stem. There's plenty of moisture in that bottle for a succulent to live off of until it forms roots.

Given that succulents root even when put on concrete in many cases, there's no reason this wouldn't work. I wouldn't however, put the cutting into water --- just close enough.

I used to put all leaf cuttings onto a moist paper towel that I'd moisten each day. It worked fine, but then I realized it works fine anywhere, anyway. LOL

Grace

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

So it is the humid atmosphere that is helping with the roots, not the water. Put the cutting in the cracks between a bunch of rocks (limestone is kind of absorbent ) and water the rocks.Plants are in perfect drainage, and humid . They get roots fast. I think the dark helps too. BUT don't forget to callus the ends first.

• notolover
    9 years ago

I don't know how it will work with cactus pups, but the thing I like is that you can see the roots developing. I don't have patience and I always want to be checking them.

And I like the idea about rooting on top of rocks. I'm going to try that next time--don't often have luck with the sand.

I'm trying that in a way right now. I had an offset and another plant that were elongated on the root end. I didn't want to cut them off so I put them in a taller pot with dirt on the bottom for the existing roots and then I put rocks around the skinny stem.

We'll see. I figure that if they start rotting I will still have time to cut and try to reroot.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    9 years ago

I did this with a Sans.
    {{gwi:582319}}

{{gwi:582320}}

I used the gravel to stabilize the leaf, and put an inch or two of water in the glass. It grew roots and a new leaf.

Rob

• notolover
    9 years ago

Whip1: Thanks for the example--that's amazing!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I do it in-between large chunky rocks in a pot.. LOTs of air.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I have a ZZ plant stem cutting in a pepsi bottle full of water that has produced/is producing roots). I would have never guessed it was possible. Or a Sans for that matter (although I've seen a fellow Sans grower on the Sans forum be able to do this as well). For plants that rot with too much water too consistently, that's amazing.

Planto