Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macbunny_gw

state of my jellybean

macbunny
9 years ago

Hello, I would like you guys to check my jellybean. I think it's dying so I took 5 cuttings and kept it. Is it really dying?.

Comments (5)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Looks like it is in very wet soil, and in container without drainage holes - or are there any?
    If overwatered & stays wet, it will die. Few rocks/stones on top won't help.
    Make sure it is in well draining mix & container with drainage holes.
    Do not use rocks on bottom of the pot either. You can use them to top-dress, it will help to stabilize the plant.
    Looks like it has chance, there is some fresh growth on the bottom. But you have to solve the potting mix issue first.

What kind of light/sun is it getting?
    What did you do with the cuttings? Do you have photo?
    This plant is usually easy to grow & propagate, the fallen 'beans' (leaves) will sprout, just laying on top of potting mix.
    Rina

• macbunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hello rina, here's a photo of the cuttings ( I put some cinammon at the end)

1.) the soil is moist but not wet and have several drainage holes at the bottom of the container.

2.) it's not getting enough sun because it's raining here it's always gray sky.

3.) I noticed that the stem is getting brown and kinda shriveled.

What would you recommend?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Cuttings look good, you can plant them & they should grow.
    But I still would strongly recommend changing the soil you are using. Good drainage is #1 as far as I am concerned...I am not an expert, just learning from this forum.
    All my succulents are in mix of gravel (chicken grit) & some turface and/or perlite (seldom I add little of soil-just for some).
    Maybe your soil is 'only moist', not wet - but constantly moist maybe too much too.
    Looks like you are in Philipines? Is it humid there? Definitely warm, can you keep your plants outside?
    I am in 5a, Ont, Canada. Keep all succulents outside weather permitting. This summer we had plenty of rain, I maybe watered them once. They got enough from the rain. And gritty mix drains very well. I would recommend you trying that.

Photo below shows tiny piece of jelly bean that was chewed off by squirrel (!!!), and a fallen leaf sprouting.
    The mix has perlite in it, gravel keeps it from flying off & also supports the plants while rooting.
    Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 10:55

• macbunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info rina, regarding the cuttings...can I plant them now?, I cut it yesterday or should I wait several days?.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

As long as the mix is not wet, you could stick them in.
    Are you able to make more grittier mix?
    Rina