Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Would anyone like a leaf to root? Pics

meyermike_1micha
14 years ago

Put your oder in...

I am going to trim this variegated Jade I started from one leaf. I am willing to share some leaves and a couple of small cuttings for them to have a nice home...

Just let me know by Sunday....

{{gwi:634244}}

{{gwi:634246}}

{{gwi:634248}}

{{gwi:634250}}

P.S...I guess it's better than going to Walmart and looking for them on the floor, that is if you can find one like this..lol:-)

Wow what a thread that was...

Comments (81)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi joscience,

Ok....18 friends here will be getting their leaves and cuttings soon. I mailed them all out this am..

Goodluck everyone. There should be instructions on how to root leaves and cuttings on these threads. It is easy:-)

Linda to answer your question...To keep the trunk fat, roots healthy, and to have filled out, well rounded shape...I love my jades small with a thick trunks

Nite

Mike..:-)

• emerald1951
    14 years ago

Hi...post a after picture if you get time...Please...Thank You...
    I can't wait to get the leaf...
    linda

• sherryinmaine
    14 years ago

Mike, I received your leaves today!
    Thank you! I will post pic as they go along (rather, one of my kids will post a pic--I'm a technology dum dum)

thanks for being thoughtful!

Sherry

• paracelsus
    14 years ago

And so it began...

Soon, this plant will be the dominant life form on the planet. Way to go, Mike! ;)

I'm kidding of course, but if all of those leaves are neglected properly, it could happen...

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lol...

:-)

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Mike,

I received mine today...Thank you so much, its BEAUTIFUL!!

• emerald1951
    14 years ago

Hi Mike, I just pick up my mail and there it was my jade start, beautiful and in very good shape...Thank You...
    I will keep you posted...
    this was a very cool idea you had and now we will all see what/how this one jade grows, all over the states and many growers and different ways ...Thank You again!!
    linda

• nodakgal
    14 years ago

I got mine today too! I was gone all day and it sat in the mailbox til 5pm in 27 degree temps! It looks good. I can't wait to get this baby growing! Thank you so much Mike!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    14 years ago

Mike,

As someone who's also sent out plants more than a few times, it's great that you're doing this.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cactuscharris, I really like you and your posts too...:-)

As for everyone else, pay it forward...lol

Seriously, I wouild love to see what they become in a few months....If you think of it, post piss...It would be awsome..

By the way, who was it that lives in Omaha? You poor thing! I can't believe that you are getting more than a dusting of snow...NOT GOOD!

Stay happy everyone...And thankyou for helping me and others for becoming successful at succulants...You are a great bunch of people to interact with!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OH GOD!!!!! Oh boy.....lolololl
    Shoote, so sorry..I meant to say "post pics" not "....."God
    Totally red faced.....................

• joscience
    14 years ago

Mike: Thanks for the info! Always interesting to see how many lurkers we have around here, and I figured this might be an interesting way to get some sense how many people read, but don't post. Nice to know we still have some generous people around GW!

• - -
    14 years ago

Arrived today. They are beautiful. Thank you. Your generosity is much appreciated.

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Hi every one, My name is cAROL,i am a lurker,i really just stopped in to see if i could find any info,on Sedums,not knowing where else to look,and i am fascinated by the way you have grown your beautiful Jade plant from a leaf.
    I had one Years ago.
    My daughter got a piece from my son, who lives in Cal.,and it is growing nicely,since i am here,may i ask you how to trim them?I had no idea you could trim up a Jade plant.
    This has been a fun read,has any one send pictures yet?
    Thanks guys, its been educational.
    cAROL

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh yes..You can..

In fact I trim mine at the knobes, or just about where another leaf can grow from. I like to trim according to what kind of shape I want.

Then root the cuttings..

And you are very welcome....It is good to see ones like you be a part instead of lurking....:-)!

• User
    14 years ago

Carol,

For Sedum info. just do a search on Sedum & you'll find lots of info; you'll need to determine WHICH Sedum you've got. You could also check the pix of them at Desert-tropicals.com.

Mike,

Could you perhaps mean you trim them at the 'nodes' (the name for the joints or knuckles of the plant where new growth would come from on these)?

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah..lol

I had a feeling I might have used the wrong word after I posted...I am glad someone understood..:-)

Thanks PG..

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda, here is a photo of the mother plant of all the cuttings I sent out as you wanted to see..:-)
    It still looks ok?

It will grow compact for sure while the trunk will only get thicker..

The last pic is another Jade I have growing along side of this one..

{{gwi:634252}}

{{gwi:634254}}

{{gwi:634256}}

{{gwi:634258}}

• emerald1951
    14 years ago

Hi Mike,
    I just love that plant...It looks really nice, more compact, you did a very nice pruning job...
    Your other jade is big..nice very nice...
    Jades are really neat plants, I never had much luck with them before...I have gotten better, with all the help from people here..thanks for posting the picture I love seeing that plant....you know I have been looking for other jades and I have yet to see one just like yours, I am hoping to find a 'Hummel sunset' I think that plant is great...linda

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    14 years ago

I meant to post these here to let the new folk growing this plant know what they're in for:

{{gwi:634260}}

and

{{gwi:67609}}

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sweet cactusmcharris...

Nice! Thanks for posting these pics!!:-)

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Mike, your Jades are Fabulous!! Its huge and healthy, what a nice canopy!! I bet you can't wait for them to flower?

Cactusmharris...I sure wish I get some of those one day!

Thanks for shraring your pictures!!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Me too catusmcharris!

Nancy, thanks so much...Yours will look like that some someday with all your awsome weather down there 80% of the year.:-)

It will probably grow alot faster than mine did..Yahoo!

• apacholek10
    14 years ago

That looks awesome! I would a clippings of leaf if you still have some! I have been looking for some for a while and have had no luck! Let me know how to contact you! My email is apacholek10@yahoo.com! Thanks!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok..I will contact you..:-)

• jade_man
    14 years ago

hi mike i think i found your plant, what do you think? i found it at www.cactuscollection.com. in there list of plants they sell.

Here is a link that might be useful: mike's plant?

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Mike want to say thank you about reminding people not to pinch off leaves when they are in a nursery, WalMart, Tarket or any other place. What are you shipping these in, what kind of box, I don't need one but I thank you for offering. I'll be glad to send you one of my special ones if you want, C. ovata 'Ruby' Norma

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Mike,
    the cuttings are growing excellently! They're all outdoors now on my eastern deck, and coloring nicely from the night-time temps in the 30°F's and the day-time temps in the 70°F's!!! If I have a current pic, I'll post it to the update Thread.

Jade Man,
    we've been calling this Jade 'Peek' for a while, name provided by Norma. I can't recall, but there might be some subtle difference in the striping or variegation between this sport and the others.

Norma,
    could you post a picture of Crassula ovata 'Ruby'?
    I would truly love to compare images of a Jade from my collection, which you tentatively identified as 'Ruby' a few years ago. It is a small-leaf Jade if that helps narrow it down.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How is everyones Jades doing? I would love to see a few..

:-)

• emerald1951
    13 years ago

Hi Mike....
    sorry to say I lost mine...a storm took it :(
    I had a few leaves left, but they did not root...
    but I would like to see others cuttings, to see how they are doing....linda

• juleclmns
    13 years ago

Hey Mike,
    the cuttings are growing very well!!!
    They are outdoors in full sun, and start to take roots^^
    Thank you very much
    Julia =)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mike`s Jade cuttings

13 years ago

Very nice, Julia!
    Your cuttings have grown well!

Mike, my cuttings are healthy and happy!
    The cutting that flowered during the winter is finally sending out a new pair of leaves.

Josh

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Linda, so sorry to hear that.

Nice Julia!

Josh, glad to hear yours is putting out some leaves.

Here's mine. Mike I gave my sister a cutting of your Jade...so add Las Vegas to the list of places your cuttings went to :o)
    It is doing well so far.Mine lost all its pretty red colors, but so has most of my Jades, they are also pretty much dormant right now. It is waaay to hot and humid for them. I even had to move them away from the sun...its been 100° for several days now.
    {{gwi:634263}}

13 years ago

Such a sexy Jade deserves to be on stage in Vegas! ;)
    Great plant, Nancy!

Josh

• nikki702
    13 years ago

They are lovely :))

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

"Sexy Jade" Too funny Josh! I love it!

Thanks guys.

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Mike I love you for sharing with all of these people. That is what the hobby is about, and you set an example. Thanks for sharing. I think your variegated "Jade" may be 'Peek' with the white peeking through the green, Norma

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Norma, considering you are one of the most respected here by me, it means a lot to see you leave such a positive message and kind words...It is members like you that hold us together like glue here..

Hug

Mike

• kaktuskris
    13 years ago

Hey Mike!

When you originally posted this thread, I wasn't that big on Jades, but knowledgeable and enthusiastic Jadeites like Norma, Josh and you have converted me.

If you ever do any more Jade pruning, let me know!

Christopher

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chris, there is always room for you..

I will let you know when I prune real soon..

I promised Norma I would pay it forward, so your in..

• sophie12
    13 years ago

I would really love one if your offering leaves again! Your great to do this---I've gotten all of my jades from others leaf cuttings.

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

I second Norma's lovely post. :)

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chris and Sophie, just e-mail your addresses and I will send A.S.A.P...

Thank you Jojo...Miss you!

Mike,,:-)

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

And I second Jojo's comments about Norma's lovely post about Mike.

Hi Jojo and Mike :o)

• kaktuskris
    13 years ago

Mike, I sent you an email.

Thanks.

Christopher

• samie4
    13 years ago

Yes I would love a cutting I've found my passion at last taking care of plants .I am out of work and just started to do my cati and i would like to have a plant like yours also please email me so i can give you my home address i will even send the envelope if needed
    samie41@comcast.net

• smoochas
    13 years ago

I would also love a cutting if you have one to spare! Though I need directions on what to do with it (and I should be finished up on getting all the ingredients for Al's gritty mix by this weekend!!) woot and thanks!
    twinknyc@gmail.com

• nikki702
    13 years ago

Mike... Thank you thank you thank you :)))

I got my package today which was a nice suprise when I came home...

Im delighted to have a bit of your LOVELY jade plant :))

Its now in the pot waiting for roots *i hope they dont take too long*

What is the other plant you gave me? its lovely :)

Thanks again

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Hi Mike,

I was wondering if you have anymore leaves or cuttings from this beautiful jade plant of yours to share?

Thanks,

Bo

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

I got a couple of cuttings from Mike and I was thrilled to get them a couple days ago. Nice big healthy cuttings in great shape and also a rooted cutting of a jade I didn't have. Mike is such a great guy. None of you will be dissapointed with your leaves or cuttings. Such an unusual nice lookin jade. This is now one of my favs.
    Andrew