Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janewt_gw

propagating from leaves

Janewt
9 years ago

I have some succulent cuttings that are just leaves, that so far have been happily making roots but not showing any sign of developing stem or leaf growth. Is there a way to encourage this? More/less/no water? More/less light? Temperature? Is it the wrong time of year? Or should I just be patient? At the moment they're getting some light and I'm unscientifically giving them a bit of water now and then.

They're a couple of Echeveria varieties and Adromischus cristatus. (I also have a mystery leaf that I think is actually one of the leaflets from an Austrocylindropuntia subulata; it's putting down roots also but I have no idea if you can propagate them from the leafy bits.) My sedums and Graptopetalus are only too happy to propagate from dropped leaves.

Comments (3)

• _sbgibbons_
    9 years ago

A lot of different people have different ways for propagation. Personally, I lay the leaf on top of dry soil and don't pay it any attention until roots start to form. Then after that happens, I move it into my rooted station and they get misted every morning. I allow my cuttings to get about an hour of morning sun every day and then they are in the shade for the rest of the time.

How long has it been since you've seen roots start to form? It takes about two weeks from the root to leaf process for me. Propagation is a lot of waiting. And at first I was pretty impatient Haha, but it did finally pay off. . Also, I don't think a Eve's Needle cactus can grow from their little soft spines (I'm not sure what they are called, but I would like to know). Mine also grow at different rates. These were all pulled at the same time and as you can see, they are at different stages. Good luck! - Sam :)

This post was edited by Sbgibbons on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 13:15

• Janewt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, they've been sitting around with just roots for a good few weeks now! And that's about what I've been doing--some misting; they're sitting on soil.

Patient is fine, I can be patient! :D But I don't really know the biology here, so I'm not sure if there's anything I can do besides cross my fingers.

• _sbgibbons_
    9 years ago

Those cuttings were pulled July 25th and 27th. I've read a few places online about how some people can have full on baby echeverias in 2 months! Not me! Haha. Everything is slow growing when it comes to propagation. And I'm not a very patient person, but I have no choice! Haha. :) That being said, I have had a few duds.. some leaf cuttings have that have to rooted, but not actually propagated.

Are you making sure they are good cuttings when you pull them? I have found that that are best when they are pulled from the middle as well. {{gwi:634273}} (sorry if you already know this, but I just wanted to make sure)
    How often are you misting them?
    Are they indoors or outdoors?
    How much sunlight are they getting?

Like I said, there are so many different ways that people chose to propagate, so if this is your first time, maybe you just have to try again and see what works and doesn't work for you. But just in case, don't ditch those leaves just case those start propagating. As long as you aren't ripping the leaves in half, hosing them down with water, baking them in the sun, or freezing them- I'd say all we all can do is cross our fingers! Hahaha

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider