Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identify

Posted by bluerose007 none (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 8:33

Someone please identify this. It has hundreds of buds on it. It is in a basket that is rootbound and still outside. Nights are getting down to 5 degrees Celcius. Should I bring it inside.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identify

Possibly Rhipsalis houlletiana, if it get small pale yellow flowers. Gorgeous plant by the way.

Annette

o

Yes, to be on the safe side I would bring it in now. I left two of my epi's out too long and lost them both.

Annette

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 11:04

bluerose

That is very nice looking plant, looks like the flowers are going to be yellow?
Did it bloomed for you before? It must look georgeous with so many flowers on it.
(BTW, where in Canada are you? I am in Toronto.)

Rina

o

Wow,

I've never seen that plant before, very nice. Whatever it is, it looks very happy & healthy! I hope you'll share more pix of it further in bloom; looks like it's going to be fabulous.

Certainly looks tropical, I wouldn't risk it in any cool weather.

o

Rina, I am in Montreal. This plant was given to me last year. I have never seen it in bloom but it does look like yellow flowers will be blooming. Will post more pics in a few days.

o

The ID is spot on, but the flowers are really so pale yellow that they show as white. Also, the yellow elongated things are spent blooms, the pic attached shows what unopened blooms look like just before they open. Flower buds are very plump, and the berries (mine make only a few per stem) are purple.

It grows by sending out long cylindrical shoots that end in the flat stems with serrated edges, as well as sending other flattened stems from the "sticks" (seen at right). The one at home (I am away) hangs about 4ft and blooms spring through fall. Frankly, the ephemeral flowers are underwhelming, but the purple berries add color. The taste is so bland that they could be said to have no taste at all, like the berries on Rhipsalis horrida.

o

Does that mean I just missed seeing the plant in bloom. It doesn't make any sense.

o

Bluerose would you be interested in a trade, I have several epis including Epiphyllum oxypetalum and other succulents.

Annette

o

bluerose, the blooms are open for 1 day. Not hard to miss if you get home late. Here is the color of the fruit. You'll have to cut and paste the address, sorry. Otherwise the pic is so big, and I can't resize it from here (hotel computer, slow and full of bugs).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/AlbusAlbuseser/Plants/DSCF4377.jpg

o

Annette, check your email.

o

Bluerose, my email through GW doesn't seem to be working, hasn't been for awhile. I was going to try emailing you but you don't have one listed on your members page.

Annette

o

Annette,

I have added my email.

o

O.K. I'm going to try emailing you right now.
Annette

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here