Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kataclysm_gw

Stapelia ID?

kataclysm
9 years ago

I bought this Stapelia at a greenhouse sale on a college campus last week. (I think I'm going to wait until spring to re-pot in a more suitable soil... it's starting to cool down a bit here and I don't want to hurt it!)

To my delight, I found it blooming this morning. Does anyone know what species it is? (Not in the picture are the VERY LONG trailing stems... each stem in the picture remains the same diameter but has a length of 4-6 feet.)

This post was edited by kataclysm on Fri, Sep 12, 14 at 9:00

Comments (6)

• Duc Nguyen
    9 years ago

It appears to be a S. grandiflora but the body of the plant does not match. Is there a way you can get a closer image of the flower? Like a top view of it?

This is just my opinion of course but someone else may have more experience and can ID these guys better. :)

Best of luck to you.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

It isn't a Stapelia, but a Huernia. It looks more like Huernia schneideriana. Additionally, Stapelia grandifolia is a much larger hirsute flower.

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 10:09

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

Not all red flowered Huernias are 'schneideriana'. My H. schneideriana has a many rolls of soft spines. Up to 10. That's why they confused them with H. pillansii which has a more yellowish flower. But I agree with Bikerdoc that is a Huernia of some sort.

• PoohBearLvr
    9 years ago

I dont know how old this post is...but this is one of the thousands of varieties of the 'Huernia Schneideriana'...I love to grow this, there are so many subtle color and texture differences in this variety it is unreal. It is almost a weed it grows SO easily. Give it a lot of direct sun,and fast draining soil, ignore it and it will bloom nearly all year. I have many shades of red, and a few almost black ones, and 1 hybrid black flowering one!. That cost a small fortune.
    Yellow ones, red/yellow spotted ones, it grow super fast here in south Fla. Your soil looks very wet, it needs fast draining soil and any piece of it roots by just laying it on soil or go to EBay, there are dozens of varieties of this huernia. They are cheap and like I said it grows FAST. Enjoy.

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Another vote for Huernia schneideriana.

Check out the database at stapeliads.info ~you may have to join/register to see (I forget, it was so long ago that I started viewing). Fabulous resource for stapeliad lovers!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stapeliads database

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

it is a Huernia schneideriana. I have one too. I have found that this plant likes to be crowded. I have found that I get a lot more blooms if it is crowded. I can post a picture of mine later if you like, but you can barely see the soil. That is how crowded it is. I got my starter pieces from my aunt and hers is so crowded you cannot see a speck of soil and if a piece breaks off she just sets it up between some other pieces. They do get really long. If it gets too long for you you can break it off, let it callous for a week or two, then stick it in the soil. itll root and your plant will just keeps growing.

In regards to some of the tips above, I would like to say that this is one of my succulents that I have found doesn't seem to do well in too much direct sunlight, no matter how slowly you introduce it. It changes color, looking really pale, and almost brown in places. I have it on my balcony where it gets several hours of indirect light and maybe an hour or two of direct evening sun.

It is one that I have lost some of due to rot (before I knew any better). So it definitely needs some faster draining soil. I know you said you were thinking of waiting until it gets warmer but consider if it will make it through the winter in that soil. If you do wait until spring be very careful with watering.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths