Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
whacked jade guidance

Posted by hookilau long island NY (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 9:19

So a lucky CL find (lucky=cheap) now has me up to my ears in whacked jades =) I have 10 jades with pleasingly large trunks.

The plants were all about 18" tall from soil line but seriously top heavy. The root system, I found after bare rooting them, was really disproportionate. I'm guessing this is normal.

I put them in plastic bonsai training pots (also a lucky CL find) and have them inside cause our night time temps are in the 50's but I plan to put them back out (shaded) during the warmth of the day (expecting 70's). They are all now in a lovely gritty mix, surgery was conducted yesterday & today, all cuts are drying well and visibly shriveled. I have cuttings that are also quite thick in gritty mix, Rx for them is no water till new growth.

Does bottom heat help the rooted guys recover? Also, they had very large leaves (see pic), the largest leaves on mine, by comparison are only about 1". Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I've never pruned such large Jades before.

Antoinette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: whacked jade guidance

big, huh? lol.

o
RE: whacked jade guidance

Nice collection!
The big leaves usually grow in response to lower light and/or high fertilizer levels.
The new leaves that grow in will be smaller, I imagine.

If the plants have roots, wait about a week to give them some water. That should be
enough time for any root-damage to have callused.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here