Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foliage Pro first time fertilizing Jades

Posted by isonychia none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 10:03

I just received my Foliage Pro.

I have never fertilized any of my jades. Or any of my other plants except for a few Hibiscus with some osmocote pellets once. (all indoor plants)

About a week or two ago I replanted some of my jades in the gritty mix. They seem to be doing fine, but maybe it's too early to tell.

Should I give them some of this foliage pro now or wait?

If I should give it to them, should I follow the instruction on the bottle as it instructs? 1 teaspoon per gallon of water once a week. Then what do i do? Just use the gallon water mix and use that to saturate each jade once a week? Do I do that once a month? Only during certain months that they grow but not in the winter?

I will be going away next week and don't want to come home to dead jades because I killed them by fertilizing. (I always read that people kill their plants by not knowing how to fertilize properly)

Thanks,
iso

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foliage Pro first time fertilizing Jades

Hey, iso.
Most of us use 1/8 - 1/4 strength Foliage Pro on our succulents (with certain exceptions, of course, such as Dragon Fruit and various jungle cacti). Once a week during the growing season is fine.

Josh

o

I too feed mine as Josh says and by the way, because you use a very porous mix, you can feed when ever you want:-)

MIke

o

Hey, Mike!
Yes, what Mike says is true. You can use a reduced dose of fertilizer and fertilize with every watering if you have the time.

Josh

o

Thanks Guys.

So I will use 1/4 teaspoon FP in one gallon of water.

I can then use that jug of water to water all my jades.

So even though I just repotted them 2 weeks ago, it's safe to fertilize?

And this is still the growing season? I am in NJ.

Iso

o

Yes, very safe and in fact beneficial!

Fertilize away and enjoy..:-) Great product by the way.

This is growing season too...

o

Mike,

Since we are discussing foliage pro, do you know if it can be used on Nepenthes (Picture plant)? I have read to fertilize them with orchid fert. But I'm thinking foliage pro at 1/4 strength would be ok? Any thoughts? Thanks! If anyone else may know.... I knew Mike drops in the Carnivorous forum.

-Teisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here