Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveofbostons

Flaming Kathy

loveofbostons
9 years ago

I received a flaming Kathy as a gift. At the time I didn't know what it was as there was no tag. A lot of it had died off so I cut it. Anyone have any tips on this plant? It also has roots growing from the stems. Do I leave them alone or cut the stems to form a new plant?

This post was edited by loveofbostons on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 11:24

Comments (5)

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

It's flaming Katy,a kalanchoe,i have several of them and none of mine have roots like that.There is a lot of info on google,as i just went there and looked up flaming Kathy and that's where it took me,and those look like what i have .
    It's a pretty hardy plant.Do you have it inside or outside.Mine live outside,then again i'm in S.calif.
    Kathi

• loveofbostons
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have mine inside, I live in Pennsylvania. The roots just started the other day to come out and I tried looking it up but couldn't find anything about the roots sprouting from the stems. Seemed a bit odd to me. Maybe its propagating on its own?

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

The soil looks really wet. Is it possible that it is putting out new roots because the ones it the soil aren't in optimal conditions and can't get what the plant needs so these are popping up?

• loveofbostons
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had just watered the soil before taking this picture. It's possible there is root damage. Since I received the plant it has been in a plastic pot(I usually re pot everything into clay) since I didn't know what it was. So I haven't looked at the main roots. I found out that it was Kalanchoe the morning I posted this.

• loveofbostons
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just an update. There is root loss. I'm not sure if I should re pot what's left of the roots or if I should cut the stems that are growing roots to start all over?