Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (10)

• notolover
    9 years ago

Simply gorgeous--love that vivid red. Any idea on the name? Most of my hybrids are pinks.

Here's a Gus Peach that bloomed yesterday.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a Schick hybrid, E. 'Wild Red Berry'

• notolover
    9 years ago

OK-thanks. Your picture looks much better than ones I have seen on the internet.

I'll have to add that to my wish list :-)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. Don't know about the picture being better than others out there but it is most definitely RED.

• janartmuse
    9 years ago

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between trichocereus and echinopsis? My books seem to have some confusion. here's a trichocereus (or echinopsis) of mine that bloomed last spring. i have a red one, but this is one of my favorite photos.

• notolover
    9 years ago

Bikerdoc: Well there are other pictures I've seen, but to clarify, yours is the only one that makes me want to own it :-) so I'd say that's why it impressed me. Why doesn't that "want" list ever get any shorter?

janartmuse: Exquisite flowers! I agree that trying to identify them is difficult if you don't have a label. I would just be guessing, but I'd say this one is a Trichocereus.

Do you remember how the buds looked? I just read generally, that if the buds have longer tubes then they are more likely Echinopsis; if the buds are closer to the stem, then it is probably a Trichocereus.

In my collection, it's hard to tell just from the stems because a few of my Echinopsis are bigger than some of my Trichocereus.

If anyone else has a more full-proof way please let us know. Or if anyone can I.D. this hybrid, even better!

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

I don't struggle with the name,i just call them Beautiful!!

Biker i've never seen a red one,i have pinky/white,and my others look more like trichocereus,and i have yellow and a bright pink in those.The pink didn't bloom this year,don't know why.The pinky white echinopsis has been sending out blooms every few days all summer long,yesterday one plant had 5 blooms,and another smaller one had 2.Wish the blooms lasted longer though.

Jana i love,love that one and the purple plant behind it.Can you tell me what the purple is??
    Kathi

• notolover
    9 years ago

Kathi: the name isn't important unless you want to buy one :-) But you are right, not knowing what it is doesn't make it any less beautiful.

And janartmuse: I got lost in my own thought and forgot to say that the main difference I think is that Trichos will get bigger as a general rule and can take more full sun and cold. But once they are hybrids they are just such little mysteries, aren't they?

• dirt_farmer
    9 years ago

trichocereus = Greek name
    epinopsis = Latin name

Scientific names can be either Greek or Latin because everybody that is important in the scientific community
    would know at least one of those languages from going to college. Otherwise how could the frat houses be named ?

Originally plants were lumped in genus's that shared common physical appearances.

For instance, trichocereus were columnar & epinopsis were more sea urchin or hedgehog looking.

A well renowned botanist about 40 years ago decided that trichocereus and epinopsis shared common flower morphology and should be lumped together.

If you cant find new plants to name , the only way to get your name associated with plants that already have a name is to push them around in the botanical designation sense.

Plus its a good time to make people look up the word paraphyletic to show how intelligent the cactus authorities are.

Renaming a plant or plants is very prestigious and guarantees that your name will be spoken long after you have left this world.

Supposedly , botanist are considering changing the naming scheme again.

People , ( astronomers ) search the skies endlessly to have comets or other extraterrestrial phenomenon named after them. So I wouldn't just pick on botanist for having ego's.

This is just my gleam on things,, if anyone disagrees feel free to flame me.

I might be misinformed or just don't see the big picture. :)

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

These are all so beautiful. Why my heart has a special place for echies.