Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unhappy Jade Bonsai

Posted by bisforbetsy MA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 11:02

Hi!

I've had this jade bonsai for over 16 years and it's always had leaves that blackened then snapped off which I assumed was because it was in full sun and I was a little too lax with the watering. Now I've moved, it's in less direct sunlight and I'm watering about the same and the poor things miserable. It's a beautiful shape, the trunk is very firm, but the leaves grow deformed and become wrinkly, soft, brown then crispy black and fall or snap off. Now whole branches are snapping off! Am I over watering as the soft leaves would indicate, or under watering as the crispy leaves would suggest? I water about every one and a half to two weeks. I water until I see water come thru the drainage holes. I do let the water set in the saucer until it's evaporated. There's a miracle grow feed stick in the soil, which is topped with a layer of coconut shell shavings that when mixed in potting soil retains moisture. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
betsy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unhappy Jade Bonsai

Betsy,

Overwatering, poor soil (perhaps), poor choice of top dressing,(definitely) fertilizing an ailing plant (you don't want to do that when the plant isn't healthy and in growth mode) - those are three things which come to mind. You've got a nice plant, which will be a nicer plant once you correct those things. These plants are going into growth mode now, and with the proper soil (a porous mix) you'll right this ship.

Here's a great thread on whacking your Crassula ovata to shape it into something that is an eye-catcher. You don't have to, but I think your plant would benefit from a haircut.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg051741321904.html

Here's a primer on growing it.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/cacti/2002020340003484.html

Here's a decent thread on soil.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg080127197838.html

One hopes that Josh (Greenman), our Official Jade Spokeperson, makes an appearance here.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 12:04

o
RE: Unhappy Jade Bonsai

:-) Thanks, Jeff!
Yes, I agree with Jeff - a change of soil and a hair-cut.
It is an awesome Jade and it would be a real shame to lose it.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here