Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pachypodium baronii - yellow stem

Posted by cwcervantes 9A / New Orleans (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 11:14

Hello everyone. I noticed recently that my Pachypodium baronii is yellowed near the base. It had previously been shaded a bit more. Any idea if this is normal or a sign of trouble? The roots are growing out through the drainage hole, so I don't think the root system has rotted.

I would hate to lose this plant!

Thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cody_cervantes/9691288267/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pachypodium baronii - yellow stem

To my understanding Pachies like sun , Full sun. I have had My P. lealii in FULL Central Texas sun and it has not blinked. They do like more water in this situation. I water it once maybe twice a week(when I remember). and it is quite happy. Not growing too fast but developing a nice fat caudex. The spaces between the leaf/branches are short. Too much growth between them is not wanted.

I would spray it with some draconil to address fungal issues as a safeguard if it were my plant, knowing that it has been in the shade in a warm humid environment.

Was your plant grown from a cutting or a seed? The Internet images show a caudex. I would give it more sun, But do it slowly. If it can handle sun on the western semi lowlands of Madagascar, it can handle it in Luisiana. There was mention that this Pachy likes a larger pot than other Pachy species. This info is coming from Wiki

Here is a link that might be useful: Wiki info

o
RE: Pachypodium baronii - yellow stem

Thanks for the reply! It is grown from seed. It has a bit of a caudex but it's mostly underneath the soil line.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here