Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Do Epiphyllums get old and tired?

I have had a E. oxypetalum for over 12 years now. It seems to have leveled off and the bloom cycle seems to have dwindled. Maybe I am pulling at hairs and expecting perfection. This plant has given me bloom flushes of 40 and 50 blooms and earlier this year it gave a bloom of 35 but what is concerning me is the repetition of blooms is fewer and all the other bloom cycles have become less. The number of new arms has lessened and I have had to trim many arms because they are looking old and scarred. I think my trees leak oils or something that they don't like. I repotted it in new soil about two years ago. I fertilize every week.

I am beginning to wonder if age is an issue. I have not heard this discussed . I have heard about very old CC so I assumed these grew forever. JUst wondering. It has been an amazing performer but I am noticing that Annie (I named her after my mom) is not hitting her high notes. Maybe I should just get a life and stop expecting so much.

Below is a Annie's flicker set. She has gone through several Digital cameras through the years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's fragrant nights

Comments (11)

• Bpotsrsmalldish
    10 years ago

Bare with me: I have an apple tree that gave me 50 buhells for a few good years one year I got 45 bushells a couple years later I got 30. ( See where I'm going here)
    I think your Epic is showing it's age only becuse
    More food more tending more what ever it took didnt help me get more apples from the apple tree but a few sucker rootings did .

You have a very nice plant and you have done well with it to date. I think you know what you need to do even though you might not want to do the deed . I only ask you do whats best for the plant.

Thanks for sharing

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Repot into a larger pot, Mara. I'd bare with you too but we're married.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

NOT A BIGGER POT!!!. I have to lift it onto this place come winter and it is a bear usually followed by a trip to the Chiropractor. I had it in a bigger pot and it got to be 8' wide and barely made in the double doors. No way could I get it up into this spot. It is the only spot that is large enough for it inside. The picture was of it sevral years ago. I had DOWN potted it so to get it up here.

I could start a small cutting as insurance.

Second picture shows it that night during a 12 degree coldfront and it got to 28 inside the unheated shop. I bagged it and pot a pot of boiling water in thee bag. What we do for our plants.

{{gwi:550188}}

{{gwi:636751}}

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Look at that space!

Cut the plant up into sections, Mara (a pruning saw used to cut the root ball would work dandily), and then repot into smaller pots.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What I have heard is that there roots don't like to be disturbed. I am thinking maybe my soil is too heavy.

• andy_e
    10 years ago

Do you water with acidified water or just regular tap water?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I water with rainwater, so I guess it is acidified.

• andy_e
    10 years ago

Hmm, your water's probably fine...although it can't hurt to check the pH just in case.

The only other things I can think of are:

- Soil might be compacted, in which case you could do a partial soil change (not disturbing the roots too much) and repot it in the same pot.

- Might need a bit more food or micronutrients, especially with all that plant mass to support.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I might have let it get too dry last winter. My husband fell off a ladder and I worked his jobs and mine so my mind was not on the plants. The soil drains fast but it is very compacted to touch it. Maybe I should repot it . I would think that spring would be a good time but maybe that would interfere with the blooms cycle. I do have a long fall growth period so I could do it now.What micro nutrients would you recommend. I could add some bone meal and lava sand to the mix with some charcoal to the pine bark and a bit of grit and perlite and soil.

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

I've seen this baby before. Aye, chihuahua!

When you say that it got too dry last winter, that makes me think that maybe the soil became hydrophobic. Does water seem to penetrate the soil or is it maybe running through too fast? If so, maybe you could manage to set it in a big tray and bottom-water, let it wick up. I don't know, just a thought.

Another thought: Suspend it from wires and prop it on stilts like a Dali painting.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, the water soaks into it. Does not run down sides. No peat moss in soil. IF I ever get my house built there is a special wintertime spot for it designed into the living room.